Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Fair warning, I am long-winded, so prepare for some reading. Two weeks ago I purchased a 2003 SVT Focus and have since declared it the best purchase of my young life (I am still in high school, btw). My only issue is with the grille, which I do not particularly like, and I was hoping to buy a new one without the yellow parking lights (referred to as a Euro grille?) Now, before I go further, I apologize for asking a question that has been asked many, many times before. I have read at least 10 different posts relating to this topic, but most of the threads are several years old, with dead links to sites that may help me. I was hoping that someone had recently performed such an upgrade, or knew of a place I could get it done. I had seen a thread where someone cut the lights out of their grille, but I suck with those kinds of things, so I was hoping maybe someone knew where I could buy an entirely new grille. I don't believe the European version of the Mk1 Focus has a different grille, so it may not fit, but I would like one that's similar in appearance. On a side note, is it illegal to remove the parking lights, as they double as turn signals, or will the blinkers on the front quarterpanel suffice? Thank you all.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You can do it yourself.
The grill comes out with 4 10mm bolts and 2 light sockets.
Takes 5 minutes.

Skill with cutting tools and plastic, I don't know how good you are, but any body shop will do what ever you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I unfortunately have neither the skill nor the tools to perform
such a modification (my family's toolbox consists of a hammer and a box of screws... That's it). I'd also rather not pay a shop to do it, that's why I was wondering if there was a preassembled part i could buy. I know we have a 10mm wrench around here somewhere, so I could do the removal part of it, but I don't have a handsaw or any other kind of cutting tool.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
a hammer and a box of screws? lmfao those don't even go together. unless that was your point haha.

anyways keep checking the fs section they do com up every once in a while.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You can get a cheapo set of tools, but your going to need a 10mm socket and an extension I would suggest a foot long one...less bending over.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
You can find knock-off Euro grilles on Ebay for cheap, but you're still going to have to get yourself a socket wrench, a 10mm socket and an extention. You'll also have to loosen all three bolts on each headlight to remove the grill without breaking any mounting tabs.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Come' on guys go to ebay.uk.co type in focus grille and click search. You'll find at least a dozen i'm sure. Make sure the seller ships to US before you purchase and if you have paypal it will automaticly change the money over for you.

Second, most cops my let it pass with no front turn signals some may not. you can buy headlights with the turns integrated into the housing ie: Machs or ST170 (euro version of SVT) lights for example. Or you can make up your own version behind the euro grille like the pill bottle mod.

ST170

Mach

I can't find pill bottle mod I'll have to look later when I have more time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Come' on guys go to ebay.uk.co type in focus grille and click search. You'll find at least a dozen i'm sure. Make sure the seller ships to US before you purchase and if you have paypal it will automaticly change the money over for you.

Second, most cops my let it pass with no front turn signals some may not. you can buy headlights with the turns integrated into the housing ie: Machs or ST170 (euro version of SVT) lights for example. Or you can make up your own version behind the euro grille like the pill bottle mod.

ST170

Mach

I can't find pill bottle mod I'll have to look later when I have more time.
I assume you have the SVT ('Murican) version, correct? Are the two grilles (SVT and ST170) completely interchangeable, as in a perfect fit, or did you kind of have to mess with it a little? As stated, I have virtually no mechanical knowledge nor tools. Sorry for being kinda retarded in all this.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
I assume you have the SVT ('Murican) version, correct? Are the two grilles (SVT and ST170) completely interchangeable, as in a perfect fit, or did you kind of have to mess with it a little? As stated, I have virtually no mechanical knowledge nor tools. Sorry for being kinda retarded in all this.
Yea I have the SVT grille. You can swap out from a regular grille to a SVT to a ST170 without any problems. The top taps are different on the ST170 or the euro grille but the just lock into place. After you remove the top radiator cover it just has four 10 mm bolts holding the grille into place. Just pull out the bulb sockets with a half turn and swap'em over. But if you go to a euro grille and you use the other lights you have to mod the wiring for the other lights to work I've never done it but I know lots of other members who have. Just ask.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
You can find knock-off Euro grilles on Ebay for cheap, but you're still going to have to get yourself a socket wrench, a 10mm socket and an extention. You'll also have to loosen all three bolts on each headlight to remove the grill without breaking any mounting tabs.
That's weird I've never need to loosen the head light remove the grille. I've changed mine 3 times and I've changed the headlights twice grille come out fine with no issues.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
US Ford emblem on the grill is smaller than Euro one.
I know because I bought my euro grille from the same seller and I used my SVT emblem.
It still works and you can't really tell the difference, but you have to "make it" fit properly as the back holes also doesn't match with the shape of the US emblem.

Picture of how it looks on my car:

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
The other option, and the one I went with because I'm a cheap ass, is to use a different bulb for the park/turn lamp.
IIRC, stock is a 3057 bulb #, which is a dual element bulb.
If you use a 3056 bulb #, which is a single element bulb. Then you get rid of the parking light.
The only modification you have to do is file the 'alignment tab' down on the bulb, very easy to do. If you look at a 3057 and 3056 side by side you'll see what I'm talking about, it's on the narrow side of the base of the bulb.

Best pic's I can find. Notice that the 3056 has a wider alignment tab than the 3057.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
yeah, i had to cut a small notch in the top of the grill to let the latch move around.
also had to do this to get it to fit flush.. a hacksaw to cut the snub off.

still need to put the logo on the front.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
or.... you can just clip the middle wire on the socket (not 100% on this) and then it will keep the lights off as parking lights and only turn on with your blinker.

free mod!

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I prefer this euro grill myself:

I do have headlights with turn signals in them now, these pics just show the
grills with the most detail, so I used them.

You can get this euro grill from CFM.com. They are an Focus Fanatics Vendor.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts