Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I recently bought an 03 SVT that needed a little love. I've already replaced the alternator, serp belt, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires, and coil pack with motorcraft parts and the next job on my list is the engine mounts. I'm having trouble finding motorcraft mounts and my research on the forum says that VF Engineering makes a good set of mounts with poly bushings with the downside being a bit more vibration at idle. I'm not too concerned with the vibration as long as it doesn't harm anything in the front end. My goal for now is to get the car healthy as it will be my daily for a while but my ultimate goal is to buy a cheap daily so that I can begin building my SVT. With that in mind I have a few questions:

1. Will the extra vibration at idle produce noise or harm/reduce life of anything in the front end?

2. Are VF Engineering mounts a good choice since I'm having trouble finding motorcraft parts?

3. Are there any other brands that you all might recommend or is there a place that I can find motorcraft mounts?

Any answers or advice that might help me in the future would be much appreciated as I'm relatively new to fixing cars and I want to do it right because the car deserves it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I replaced all mine with the steeda mounts. They are probably identical to the vf brand. As for vibration, you’ll notice a lot of vibration at idle (especially if you do all three mounts). I did this to mine back in 2008, probably had 60k on the car then... has 202k on it now and nothing has “fallen off” yet. 😁
It will lead to other squeaks in your interior for sure, most notably in your dashboard. I imagine each car would have its own quirks based on build inconsistency from the factory...
However, it feels great when you change them, things feel more “immediate”
If you prefer a soft, isolated experience, I would go with factory mounts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced all mine with the steeda mounts. They are probably identical to the vf brand. As for vibration, you’ll notice a lot of vibration at idle (especially if you do all three mounts). I did this to mine back in 2008, probably had 60k on the car then... has 202k on it now and nothing has “fallen off” yet. 😁
It will lead to other squeaks in your interior for sure, most notably in your dashboard. I imagine each car would have its own quirks based on build inconsistency from the factory...
However, it feels great when you change them, things feel more “immediate”
If you prefer a soft, isolated experience, I would go with factory mounts.
Thank you so much for your input I will keep that in mind, I think for now I will try to find factory ones since its my daily at the moment and once I park it to begin the build I'll swap to a performance set if it becomes necessary. You wouldn't happen to know where I could find oem or motorcraft mounts would you? Again thank you for your help I'm trying my best to ensure this car is cared for properly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thank you so much for your input I will keep that in mind, I think for now I will try to find factory ones since its my daily at the moment and once I park it to begin the build I'll swap to a performance set if it becomes necessary. You wouldn't happen to know where I could find oem or motorcraft mounts would you? Again thank you for your help I'm trying my best to ensure this car is cared for properly.
Im not sure where you are going to find some motorcraft mounts. If they are discontinued, let the internet be your tool, you may find some in a corner somewhere. Being that my factory mounts failed around 40k I'd be looking at just the aftermarket ones available (stock wise) from say rock auto or something similar. A quick search netted this for me: Replacement Motor Mount RF31150009 | CarParts.com

Thats a good price for all three, even if it only lasts just outside the 1 year warranty..lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not sure where you are going to find some motorcraft mounts. If they are discontinued, let the internet be your tool, you may find some in a corner somewhere. Being that my factory mounts failed around 40k I'd be looking at just the aftermarket ones available (stock wise) from say rock auto or something similar. A quick search netted this for me: Replacement Motor Mount RF31150009 | CarParts.com

Thats a good price for all three, even if it only lasts just outside the 1 year warranty..lol
I had been looking at those among others, I just wasn't sure if they were going to function properly since they were so cheap but you make a good point even if I have to change them frequently the parts are cheap and the job isn't too intense. Thank you very much for your help.

·
Thats What She Said
10,703 Posts
TASCAparts.com Steve there is a SVT Focus guru. But the Motorcraft parts are very much in production.

There are differences in VF Engineering Vs Steeda. The Steeda driver side one does not fit with the factory OEM air box.

There is also the MASSIVE rear mount as an option but VF and steeda are the only ones with poly driver and passanger that I am aware of. The massive you get two options of a poly firmness where with VF or others there is no option on different firmness.

I have DD my ZX3 with all VF Engineering mounts. and its never been an issue, a little more vibration at idle, but if the engine is running correctly. and if it does bother you, and you have a tune you can just bump the idle a hundred RPM or two.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TASCAparts.com Steve there is a SVT Focus guru. But the Motorcraft parts are very much in production.

There are differences in VF Engineering Vs Steeda. The Steeda driver side one does not fit with the factory OEM air box.

There is also the MASSIVE rear mount as an option but VF and steeda are the only ones with poly driver and passanger that I am aware of. The massive you get two options of a poly firmness where with VF or others there is no option on different firmness.

I have DD my ZX3 with all VF Engineering mounts. and its never been an issue, a little more vibration at idle, but if the engine is running correctly. and if it does bother you, and you have a tune you can just bump the idle a hundred RPM or two.

Thank you for the advice I will definitely check out tascaparts.com and see what they have. I don't have a tune yet but I plan to get toms tune, once I get that I may swap to the VF mounts since I'll be able to have the rpm at idle adjusted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also just picked up a SVT but mine had massive vibrations on start up and idle. I finally got the car on the lift and found the the dog bone mount was just mush at this point. The previous owner of the car threw in brand new motor mounts 1 is the VF dog bone and the other two I am pretty sure are the cheapest oem ones he could get off rockauto. I did the VF mount and its night and day difference. There is still some vibration at idle but its so much better. I am sure once I install the other two it will get even better. If you want to stay on the cheap side I would just get the poly inserts for the oem dog bone. Its around $20 for the poly inserts and you can press out the old rubber and press in the new polyurethane. And just run oem replacement for the other two mounts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also just picked up a SVT but mine had massive vibrations on start up and idle. I finally got the car on the lift and found the the dog bone mount was just mush at this point. The previous owner of the car threw in brand new motor mounts 1 is the VF dog bone and the other two I am pretty sure are the cheapest oem ones he could get off rockauto. I did the VF mount and its night and day difference. There is still some vibration at idle but its so much better. I am sure once I install the other two it will get even better. If you want to stay on the cheap side I would just get the poly inserts for the oem dog bone. Its around $20 for the poly inserts and you can press out the old rubber and press in the new polyurethane. And just run oem replacement for the other two mounts.
Thank you for your advice, I finally got a look at my mounts and they appear to be oem so I wouldn't be surprised if they're the original mounts so I think I'm going to do all three at once with affordable parts and that should give me enough time to save for the VF mounts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I replaced the dog bone with a urethane but kept OEM on the pass. and driver's side. The passenger side has oil in it. Mine was so worn out that when I'd hit a bump or sharp dip it would sound like the car had bottomed out, but it was the mount bottoming out because the oil was gone. Hope they still make them because I'd rather not have urethane on all three. When I changed the dog bone the shifting got noticeably better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
FWIW, I put OEM mounts on the P & D sides. I purchased a dog bone from CFM since my OEM rubber was all trashed. I get a vibration from the dog bone at idle. It bothers me some but not enough to go back to OEM. If I had to do it over, I would go back to what Ford put in it at first. Note: I drive like a Grandma. If you are going to plow through the gears often, you will probably want an aftermarket dog bone. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW, I put OEM mounts on the P & D sides. I purchased a dog bone from CFM since my OEM rubber was all trashed. I get a vibration from the dog bone at idle. It bothers me some but not enough to go back to OEM. If I had to do it over, I would go back to what Ford put in it at first. Note: I drive like a Grandma. If you are going to plow through the gears often, you will probably want an aftermarket dog bone. Just my $.02.
Thank you I'm thinking of doing all three in polyurethane because I drive a bit on the aggressive side but for now I'm doing oem until I can save for better parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I replaced the dog bone with a urethane but kept OEM on the pass. and driver's side. The passenger side has oil in it. Mine was so worn out that when I'd hit a bump or sharp dip it would sound like the car had bottomed out, but it was the mount bottoming out because the oil was gone. Hope they still make them because I'd rather not have urethane on all three. When I changed the dog bone the shifting got noticeably better.
Mine engine is bottoming on the mounts as well but I have already ordered own replacements that should last until I save for better parts. Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine engine is bottoming on the mounts as well but I have already ordered own replacements that should last until I save for better parts. Thank you for the advice.
Now that I think about it I actually replaced the inserts in the dog bone, not the whole thing. It was cheaper that way. It was ten years ago though so I don't remember where I got them; probably from CFM. I don't drive my SVT too much, but when I do it always brings a smile. It's my little hot rod.

·
Thats What She Said
10,703 Posts
Just don't by cheap OEM equivalent. They will fail in months and you will be spending more time and money than just installing poly or Motorcraft from day one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts