Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got into an accident with my zx3 and the car is totaled no damage to the front. i recently picked up a 2000 se with the spi and an auto (with a blown engin) and i plan on swaping the zetec in. would it be easier to just swap in the zetec with the mtx on it , or switch out for the atx? i have both cars and they are both complete so parts wont be an issue any tips tricks suggestions oppions thanks in advance

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
You'll have to bring over your wiring from the zetec into the spi car, so you may as well bring over the transmission as well.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I know the harness was changed after 2001, but I'm not sure what would be involved in connecting the tranmission into the harness. It may be a different input for the ecu.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i would change the ecu and harness.

if you were able to re-wire the spi ecu properly you would need a tune before you could even start the car.

also my zetec auto locks the doors if i unlock the car then don't open the doors after like 2-3 min. but i think thats all in the GEM not the ECU

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is there anyway to keep the auto trans from the spi? like could i hook the harnes for the automatic into the zeetec

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
as far as i know the auto from SPI and zetec are the same. i would then get an auto zetec ECU and harness.

same issue applies with the ecu. SPI would need to be custom tuned to run the zetec

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahhhh i see what you mean now its just that i have a manual zetec the whole car and an auto spi the whole car(with a blown spi)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
change the crank bracket if you use the spi auto.

personally make it a 5 speed. i just swapped my auto zetec to a 5 speed and love it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my dads helping me with the swap sense i have never done serious work on a car and he dosnt want to go from an auto to manual he thinks its too much work. how hard was it to instal the clutch pedal assembaly into your car?>

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
4 bolts. lol. its easy. since you have everything out all you will need to do to go from auto to manual would be change shift cables install the shifter and install the pedals and throttle linkage

staying auto you will need to change the CPS bracket and axle carrier bracket, throttle linkage.

its really like 20min extra worth of work to go with the 5 speed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts