Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the posts on changing headlight bulbs in the focus. A clip is mentioned that holds the bulb in. I can't seem to get my hand on it. I'm working on the passenger side front but can't see inside the back of the headlight housing.

I've felt around but can only feel the various plastic protrusions of the headlight assembly where the bulb sets in. I can almost pull the bulb out but its kinda "springy" so something is holding it in.

Where abouts is the clip? Is it tight upagainst the end of the buld where the wires plug into?

2003 Focus Sedan 2.0L

[?|] [?|]

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the headlight bulb but had to take headlight out to do it. Save yourself the agravation and take the headlight out........it's quicker that way - 3 bolts.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I dont see why some people have a problem with this I too have an 03, I bought some silverstars at kragens and changed them in the parking lot. It took me no more then 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
im doin this tomorrow i hop it goes ok. ive had my car going on 3 years and havent had to change one yet lol. i was planning on waiting until one blew but the silverstars were on sale so im doing it now haha.

·
Registered
975 Posts
yeah i got an 03 as welll first time i tried to change the head lights i went nuts ended up taking them out.. (Knowledge cam in handly later on in life but thats another story)

What you do is you have to feel around for the clip end it will be circular... once you find it push the clip end towards the center of the bulb and lift and then the clip will be dissengaged and the light will pull right out...

Its not hard its just tricky because you have to see with your fingers.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
man, i couldnt get those stupid things out, but it was also cold and i was awake for like 30 straight hours yesterday, so iquit before i got pissed and broke something. ill try again when its nicer out, lol. can anyone tell me where the clip thing is? like towards the top or bottom of the bulb?

·
Registered
325 Posts
i thought it was easy to take out but i stoped 1/2 way threw put back in cause i was able to grasp the clip on my 03

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replacing Headlight Bulbs

The wire clip or bracket around the bulb needs to be removed. You do that by pulling the looped end of the wire clip inwards, towards the center or the bulb. Push it in, towards the car, and pull in towards the centre and it will release.
Once the clip is off the bulb comes out easily. You might want to remove the electrical socket from the bulb first although it's not necessary. Spotting the loop at the end of the wire clip is difficult unless you use a small mirror. Get a compact or other small mirror and it makes your life substantially easier.
Place the new bulb into position without touching the bulb itself. When the bulb is in place, partially or fully, pull the clip inwards, towards the center of the bulb and push it back in behind the plastic piece that holds the wire clip.
On the side with the antifreeze overflow tank; remove it by unscrewing the bolt and use a screwdriver to lift the tank off the plastic bracket at the back of the tank. Push the overflow tank to the side. You might want to jam it gently with something to keep it from falling back into the area you need to work in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Question just because I can't post yet but semi-related question. I've got an 03 ZX3 and I just bought some halo projector headlights and when I purchased it said will fit 00-04 but these mother****s won't fit because my fenders dont have that divot on the 04 fenders and curve of the 04 bumper among some other things. Can I get a bumper and fenders for them to fit?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
the majority of people when replacing these headlights push the tabs to hard and they end up bending flat which makes it harder to find and disengage when you need to access it again.. i bend mine almost to a 90.. the tabs are at the 5 and 7 oclock positions if the tabs are bent inwards you will need to dig your fingers deep to locate them if they are bent to far headlight removal will be necessary to replace it. i make it a habit to rebend them back out to a point its hard to bend them out of place

1 - 12 of 12 Posts