Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 ford focus SOCH. it has a long story. The engine has been stalling when i stop at lights etc with low rpm(550 etc). It gave me P0136 code and after a while it disappeared It was hard to start first 1000 revolution.and there is little leak from valve cover gasket. Yesterday it stopped and did not run again. It was cranking but no start. I checked spark plugs all of them got gas on them. Replaced spark plugs and crankshaft sensor. It started but did not go away completely. It is hard to start (Just tried once after replaceing parts.).Now it is like it is gonna die and coming back with low rpm.Any idea? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Have you done a compression check?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
First diagnostic test, done to confirm good engine mechanical condition before looking deeper at multiple possibilities.

Once you know if the engine is OK, then you can start looking at things attached to it.

Checks for both wear & major/minor issues.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you sailor. Do you have an idea how much it is ? I live in TN and do you think fuel filter may cause the symptoms I mentioned above?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You could have a list of issues that combined to cause the no-start, fuel filter is a maint. item that can contribute. (fuel pressure observation with a scan tool is the only diagnostic that could show restriction)

Compression test would likely be an hour's labor to have done, on an older car & particularly an SPI it is important to check the basic condition of the engine before spending time & $ looking for other problems. You MAY just need to catch up on maint. & possibly find problems like a vacuum leak, but spending on externals if there is a more basic issue is a waste. Cam timing can also easily be checked on an SPI when doing a compression check, even if a single notch off didn't show dramatically in reduced compression.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts