Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 155k miles on my 03 Focus ZX3. I've been replacing parts on this thing like it's going out of style. My recent problem with this car is that I just replaced the front brake pads a few months ago, but recently my brakes started grinding...so I took a look and my front left pad was completely worn down, and the rotor was trashed. So I got new pads again, and a new rotor and I thought I was ok. But now I have this tension when driving my car, as if the brake pad is constantly compressed against the rotor. I can even hear it when driving. So I am assuming my brake caliper is screwed up. I took it off and I clamped the piston to see if there was any resistance and there wasn't as far as I am aware. But the piston itself when completely clamped down, didn't lay completely flat and I thought I had it all figured out at this point, and purchased a new caliper...but the new caliper's piston also doesn't lay completely flat, it sticks up a little....so there goes that theory. I'm really hoping that maybe I'm overlooking something, and the brake caliper is my real problem here (I've yet to install the new caliper because after reading the manual, it seems a bit daunting, and I wanted to check here first)...but with this car...I never know.

Please help....I am no mechanic by any stretch...but I know how to follow instructions and could really use some help right about now. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I believe your on the right track and that you do have a caliper related problem. Did you check the slider pins on the old caliper? These need to be well lubbed. If allowed to dry out they can cause the pads to drag on the rotor which results in premature wear. Make sure the new ones are well lubbed as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I lubed the pins...no change. When I first replaced my break pads...I didn't lube the pins however. Dunno if I screwed up the caliper by not doing that or what not...but I did lube them this time...and it stills grinds.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Based on that, you probably have a piston that is not releasing. This is usually caused by bad seals which allows rust. Caliper replacement is called for in this case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright....well u made me feel a little better. Actually having to replace the caliper and deal with the brake fluid ect. I'm not so stoked about. But whatever...I didn't think I'd be able to replace my motor mounts myself...but I managed...so I guess this will be the same :p

Any last suggestions/tips about replacing the caliper before I go do it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Get a bucket and let it drain into it. Also since you got to let a lot of fluid go anyways, you might as well do a full flush on the fluid.

Speed bleeder valves are a nice touch too. They'll make it easier to flush all the fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have 155k miles on my 03 Focus ZX3. I've been replacing parts on this thing like it's going out of style. My recent problem with this car is that I just replaced the front brake pads a few months ago, but recently my brakes started grinding...so I took a look and my front left pad was completely worn down, and the rotor was trashed. So I got new pads again, and a new rotor and I thought I was ok. But now I have this tension when driving my car, as if the brake pad is constantly compressed against the rotor. I can even hear it when driving. So I am assuming my brake caliper is screwed up. I took it off and I clamped the piston to see if there was any resistance and there wasn't as far as I am aware. But the piston itself when completely clamped down, didn't lay completely flat and I thought I had it all figured out at this point, and purchased a new caliper...but the new caliper's piston also doesn't lay completely flat, it sticks up a little....so there goes that theory. I'm really hoping that maybe I'm overlooking something, and the brake caliper is my real problem here (I've yet to install the new caliper because after reading the manual, it seems a bit daunting, and I wanted to check here first)...but with this car...I never know.

Please help....I am no mechanic by any stretch...but I know how to follow instructions and could really use some help right about now. Thanks!
I had a mini van doing this ... changed everything ... no luck very hot right front brake ... then changed out the pressure regulator and BAM fixed ... I swapped the master too but the regulator was the problem ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts