Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car want start . there is no codes at all . it will start with starting fluid but wont hardly run . put in new fuel pump and filter . coil pack . MAF sensors . what do i need to do help me. only car i have

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, first verify you have spark. take out a plug and place it against the block and connect the plug wire to it. A spark plug tester would be the safest way to do that as you dont have to hold onto the wire. If there is no spark then it would be an issue in possibly the wiring or ignition switch as you said you have replaced the coil. If you are getting spark, verify that you are getting fuel into the cylinders. a fuel pressure gauge would be very helpful in doing this. Based on what you are describing it sounds like you might have a problem with the injectors or fuel system

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
OK, first off, if it runs on starting fluid, then it's not a spark problem. MAFs almost never go bad. If you ever have any other vehicle, with a bad MAF it will start, and either die after the idle drops down or die as soon as you give it gas. Lots of people will tell you that X problem is an MAF, but in all the cars I've ever repaired I've only seen one bad MAF. I have seen more than 10 people I've met who have replaced an MAF needlessly. Just be thankful it wasn't a $400 learning experience.

On to the problem. It runs on starting fluid, so you have spark.

Did you check your fuel pump fuse? If it's ok, then let's test for fuel. Unfortunately, Ford doesn't give us ports on these cars for a fuel pressure tester. Try this instead, cycle the key from OFF to ON 3 times. Remove a spark plug and sniff. You should smell gas strongly if the fuel pump and injectors are working.

If you don't smell fuel, then you have another fuel problem. I'll be happy to tell you how to test FI power if you don't find a blown fuse.

If you do smell fuel, then your problem is something beside spark or fuel- so it's time to look into the timing belt being broken. Does the engine seem like it is cranking faster than it used to crank? If the answer is yes, then you probably have a broken timing belt. Remove the timing belt cover and inspect the belt. Fortunately, Zetecs are non-interference engines, so you should be ok with just replacing the belt and tensioner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts