Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I am so effing baffled. I have the wiring diagram in front of me. I have a test light on battery ground... And when I back probe the white/green wire... The light works. So that means the motor should go? But... When I turn the wipers off, the light is still on! That means the wipers would be on all the time!!!! Whattttt? Lol!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK. So apparently if I cycle the key ... It works as intended. Maybe the computer is trying to park the wipers so it is engaging the motor

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Test light tools can some times fool you because it (dependent on tool type) will light-up on low level signals (solid state controls/transistor TTL/5Vdc) and also light-up on higher level 12Vdc signals. The GEM and solid state control signals are used in that system and are sometimes present at that wire you mentioned. A quick glance of my wire diagram did not allow me a full understanding of when and what the GEM is doing at the Wht/Grn wire. The wire diagram does not provide the answer to "what & when" in regard to the GEM interaction.

Most wiper problems are caused by a defective switch inside the control stalk on the steering column. You might want to check the operation of each switch contact of the control stalk (it has a bunch) and maybe use a multimeter instead of a test light.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Test light tools can some times fool you because it (dependent on tool type) will light-up on low level signals (solid state controls/transistor TTL/5Vdc) and also light-up on higher level 12Vdc signals. The GEM and solid state control signals are used in that system and are sometimes present at that wire you mentioned. A quick glance of my wire diagram did not allow me a full understanding of when and what the GEM is doing at the Wht/Grn wire. The wire diagram does not provide the answer to "what & when" in regard to the GEM interaction.

Most wiper problems are caused by a defective switch inside the control stalk on the steering column. You might want to check the operation of each switch contact of the control stalk (it has a bunch) and maybe use a multimeter instead of a test light.
Didn't notice your reply till now (whoops). so I figured it out a long time ago. The relay was busted. What was happening was the computer was trying to park the wipers, but the relay was busted... so it just kept providing power, but the wipers didn't park because the relay was busted.... so power stayed there. Replaced the relay and its now alllllllll fixed.

I figured this out by manually moving the wipers down. The test light turned off right when the wipers were fully down :) [cheers]

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Getting back with the solution is always appreciated by others who are searching and have similar problems.

Your solution & explanation was well written and easily understood. Nice job. [cheers]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts