Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, i have an 03 focus, 94k miles, zetec. had since September 14, don't know much about it before I bought except I know it still needs its 90k servicing.

The issue I'm having is that when the vehicle is idling in D and especially in R the car wi'll sputter, shake and sometimes shut off. Sometimes it runs like a champ, like nothing is wrong even at idle. And other times I will be at a red light shaking like hell and it stalls. I have changed the pcv valve and hose, replaced the iac valve, and checked for vacuum leaks. I have noticed it happens more often when I am in R and I let off the break but don't press the gas... I recently replaced the water pump, tensioner pulley and serp belt because it was all squealing, and the pump had a leak (that was fun) i know this isn't relevant but I thought I'd throw it out there. Also, there is a slight hesitation and a small faint squeal when I press the gas for a hard take off. Thinking maybe the plugs? But I have no issue when the vehicle is in motion at all, runs great. So I'm somewhat stumped. I'm trying to sell as well so i am not wanting to dump cash in the vehicle, just wanting to get it working functionally enough to get rid of.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Auto or manual? Sounds like auto but I'm not sure.

Plugs are cheap enough, but pull one and check its condition before spending money.

Cleaned the MAF?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, yeah it's an auto. Haven't cleaned the MAF yet. Yeah I thought id pull a plug to check but it runs so smooth when on the gas I had a hard time thinking it would be the plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts