Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I got a 03 ford focus that was given to me. It had been sitting for 5 years before I got it so let me explain what I hAve done already. I got a new key, dropped fuel tank, new fuel pump, cleaned fuel tank, fuel filter, oil filter change, new brakes, timing belt tensioner and pully, new battery, plugs and wires, and new coolant. Car now runs pretty well considering. A little running and it seems like it should be fine EXCEPT..... No reverse!
When I went to drive it after all that work it would not go into reverse. I tried every way to see if it would grab but no luck. I have read it may be a solenoid but I would like someone to give me some insite.

Overview,
120,000 miles, fluid needs to be changed, don't know to much history, No Codes, Automatic transmission

·
Registered
753 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Manual or automatic?

You say reverse solenoid and I assume those are only in automatics.

For manual.
If manual have you made sure your linkages are okay?
Did you know that there is a reverse lock? Small black plunger you pull up on when putting it in reverse.

For automatic.
Don't know what to tell you here. Could be the solenoid, if replacing one I would go ahead and do them all as well as the trans filter and a trans fluid flush.
Could also be a mechanical issue with the reverse gear.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Could be the solenoid. Whatever you do, don't do a reverse transmission flush. Now you know why it was sitting for so long.

I doubt that it is low fluid, but check that anyway. Fortunately for you, a solenoid is as easy to change as the filter. I suggest a Permatex filter kit which comes with an adhesive gasket. Those are a lot easier to install. The filter itself simply pulls off- is held on by an O-ring. You might get lucky and find out that your solenoid was merely disconnected by some fluke or previous mechanic. Have everything there with you when you go in- you don't want to waste any more MerconV than you have to at $7/qt.

Before that, I'd check to be sure that the cable is doing what it is supposed to be doing, and that the gear selector switch is not the culprit. The easiest way to check that- put it in reverse with the key on- see if the reverse lights come on.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I agree with Humphrey, I thought my car had no reverse until the owner showed me that you gotta pull up on the black ring. If manual.

·
Registered
753 Posts
if what I read on Google is true manual transmissions do not have shift solenoids

·
Registered
753 Posts
Okay, so what have you tried already to repair this?

If the solenoid are the same for each gear, I would attempt putting one of the gears solenoid that do work on the spot for the reverse and see if that gives you reverse. If so then you know the issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts