Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
obviously shes an 03 SVT. but i had a check engine light kick on about 3 weeks ago. (400miles ago) code read:
P1518
Manf. control Veh. Spd.
Idle spd control
aux. inputs.

now i've been searching and alot of leads point to IMRC lever, i've found many how to links. but before i go buying this part. i have 2 questions if you guys don't mind helping me out a bit.
#1. is this the most likely culprit and fix?
#2. i read in an article that alot of fords interchange this part, (Taurus SHO and Contour for example)

the only difference i have noticed in the cars performance is she idles almost 3k, when i start her up. i let her run for about 3 min. since it is getting cold (48-60 degree mornings lately) she comes back down around 1k afterwards. and 3 times in the last 400miles she has stalled while driving, i simply pop the clutch and she runs again with no problem, but that is embarrassing. i usually drive about 7-28 miles a day. any help or advice would be awesome thanks for taking a moment to read.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
yes more than likely the issue IMRC known fault, you can try to take it apart and clean it but that may only be a temp fix

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
leolonewolf, my 2 other daily drivers: 84 5.0 and 1970 5.8 mustang. before this SVT it was an 84 EXP turbo. totalled by a drunk driver. so with that said. im not sure how to check something like a TPS. something i can pull off and clean with carb cleaner/sea foam?

qweesy, i am not crazy about taking this sort of stuff "apart" but replacing i can do, i just don't know if it is a complete bad idea, to grab a used one from a junk yard for $5 or just buy newy for $250-$300

·
Registered
65 Posts
You'd need a multimeter, the tps is mounted to the side of the throttle body, fairly easy to get to. There are a couple of posts on here on how to test it out. The big thing is to make sure you don't get any solvents or cleaning agents inside it while cleaning the tb from what I've learned this far. I just ordered a new one for mine and am probably installing it this weekend if the rain lets up.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Dunno. I guess I'd fix the vacuum leak you have first.

But I'm a bit on the 'odd' side I guess.

And if you don't know "how to take things apart". Just bring the car to someone who does before you [:)][:)][:)][:)] it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts