Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a couple codes that I've repaired. However checking torque it has a gray code p0660 intake manifold tuning valve control circuit bank 1. If I remember I think it's been that for awhile. Should I be concerned? What does gray mean? It's not triggering a check engine light. Thanks.

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
Probably a pending code, meaning the PCM has noted the issue but has not decided it is a hard fault yet. Many issues do not register a light until the PCM has had more than one issue of it, the software has trigger counts for various things there.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably a pending code, meaning the PCM has noted the issue but has not decided it is a hard fault yet. Many issues do not register a light until the PCM has had more than one issue of it, the software has trigger counts for various things there.
So if it's been grey for months, should I be concerned? Is this related to the swirl flaps or something else?

Also, why is intake manifold runner control range from $20 to 150?

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
I have no answer for second question. Pending codes can stay forever in some cases, the PCM resets some but not others based on software. Some get kept as a record. Probably the swirl flaps, there is no other control there.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no answer for second question. Pending codes can stay forever in some cases, the PCM resets some but not others based on software. Some get kept as a record. Probably the swirl flaps, there is no other control there.
I appreciate your time and getting back to me. Guess i'll wait and see what happens. I don't hear the ticking or other things people mention with the flaps.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I've had a couple codes that I've repaired. However checking torque it has a gray code p0660 intake manifold tuning valve control circuit bank 1. If I remember I think it's been that for awhile. Should I be concerned? What does gray mean? It's not triggering a check engine light. Thanks.
It has been too long since I played with my Torque Pro App on my 2004 2.3 Focus. There are ways to ID a bad PID (inactive or unreadable) in the PID list and also when you setup a single PID as a Gauge. IIRC this includes "greyed-out" data to indicate a dead or unreadable PID by Torque. The reasons for this "greyed-out" stuff ranges from multiple factors. Examples of this are Bank2 sensors that do not apply to your Bank1 ONLY engine.

One key problem or note; is that Torque is not designed for your car engine. Torque is designed for most ALL cars and trucks. Torque, out of the box, is waiting for your input to dial the App to your car engine type (car profile) and your preferred units of measurements (i.e. Gallons or Liters).

You might or will experience some PIDs that (1) do not work (2) do not apply to your engine (3) are not showing-up at all -and- need to be added.

Lastly, about your "grey DTC code": I am not sure why that code is grey. I am also unsure about your hands-on experiences with Torque verses exactly what your doing on your car. Ref all my prior comments just above. Guess I gotta be there to see it and to re-learn this Torque stuff.

So if it's been grey for months, should I be concerned? Is this related to the swirl flaps or something else?

Also, why is intake manifold runner control range from $20 to 150?
Your car has 2 independent intake manifold swirl flap systems. IMRC and IMTV... aka tumble flaps -or- runner control flaps, or runners, these names and slang/s are interchangeable.

The $ is a notation to indicate this value is hexadecimal. Do not worry about that $20 in less you want to dig into why software engineers sometimes use the $. We do not read gauges in Hex values, we need this hex data translated (by the software) into something we better understand, and this is usually done without you ever seeing Hex values or Hex data. So, for the moment, disregard the $20-150 thing you are seeing.

...I don't hear the ticking or other things people mention with the flaps.
I have never heard about an old 2.3 engine WITHOUT the ticking sounds caused by the IMRC and IMTV flaps vibrating. You or your engine is a unicorn.

Thank you for your post. I am now re-energized to fire up my Torque app and look into DTC gray matters. <grey matter joke anyone?>

Gd Luck Dardack,

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has been too long since I played with my Torque Pro App on my 2004 2.3 Focus. There are ways to ID a bad PID (inactive or unreadable) in the PID list and also when you setup a single PID as a Gauge. IIRC this includes "greyed-out" data to indicate a dead or unreadable PID by Torque. The reasons for this "greyed-out" stuff ranges from multiple factors. Examples of this are Bank2 sensors that do not apply to your Bank1 ONLY engine.

One key problem or note; is that Torque is not designed for your car engine. Torque is designed for most ALL cars and trucks. Torque, out of the box, is waiting for your input to dial the App to your car engine type (car profile) and your preferred units of measurements (i.e. Gallons or Liters).

You might or will experience some PIDs that (1) do not work (2) do not apply to your engine (3) are not showing-up at all -and- need to be added.

Lastly, about your "grey DTC code": I am not sure why that code is grey. I am also unsure about your hands-on experiences with Torque verses exactly what your doing on your car. Ref all my prior comments just above. Guess I gotta be there to see it and to re-learn this Torque stuff.

Your car has 2 independent intake manifold swirl flap systems. IMRC and IMTV... aka tumble flaps -or- runner control flaps, or runners, these names and slang/s are interchangeable.

The $ is a notation to indicate this value is hexadecimal. Do not worry about that $20 in less you want to dig into why software engineers sometimes use the $. We do not read gauges in Hex values, we need this hex data translated (by the software) into something we better understand, and this is usually done without you ever seeing Hex values or Hex data. So, for the moment, disregard the $20-150 thing you are seeing.

I have never heard about an old 2.3 engine WITHOUT the ticking sounds caused by the IMRC and IMTV flaps vibrating. You or your engine is a unicorn.

Thank you for your post. I am now re-energized to fire up my Torque app and look into DTC gray matters. <grey matter joke anyone?>

Gd Luck Dardack,

Thanks for all the info.
The code is grey but also Bank1, Torque briefly flashes a message about grey codes and ECU.
It might have the sound. TBH I've had my hearing checked a few times, cause I don't hear what other people hear in real world experiences, but in the testing I pass everything.
IDK. So if all have it, I'm sure mine has it.
So how dangerous is it to leave like that? After fixing the other issues, money is a bit short. Also it is 16 years old, and rust is starting to take hold in many places (salt belt for all 16 years, tried my best, but I think rust always wins up here).
I've seen others just remove the flaps and plug the holes, but that was on a 2.0 with just the flaps up top, not the internal. (tbh didn't know which was RC and TV). Can you do that on a 2.3l without throwing codes if you plug the external holes?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
...So how dangerous is it to leave like that?
There is no danger at all. Unless you are a pessimist?

...I've seen others just remove the flaps and plug the holes, but that was on a 2.0 with just the flaps up top, not the internal. (tbh didn't know which was RC and TV). Can you do that on a 2.3l without throwing codes if you plug the external holes?
Yeah, there is a thread (or two) where some people have modified the intake manifold and removed the IMRC flaps for different reasons. Mostly just out of fear of the potential that a IMRC flap piece might get ingested into the engine. That can happen, but the chances are very-very-very low.

Yeah, that IMRC flaps-delete Mod is doable, and without causing Codes. I'm not going to explain the mod to you here and now. If you really-really want to know the trick on how to do this, search for it, or maybe I will explain this at a later time.

If me, I would buy a new IM and not do the Mod. I assume the IM is still available as a new part. (at $250-300) but I am NOT talking about your situation with that silly grey code.

Gd luck

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is no danger at all. Unless you are a pessimist?

Yeah, there is a thread (or two) where some people have modified the intake manifold and removed the IMRC flaps for different reasons. Mostly just out of fear of the potential that a IMRC flap piece might get ingested into the engine. That can happen, but the chances are very-very-very low.

Yeah, that IMRC flaps-delete Mod is doable, and without causing Codes. I'm not going to explain the mod to you here and now. If you really-really want to know the trick on how to do this, search for it, or maybe I will explain this at a later time.

If me, I would buy a new IM and not do the Mod. I assume the IM is still available as a new part. (at $250-300) but I am NOT talking about your situation with that silly grey code.

Gd luck
I suck at this quote split up. My wife says I can be a pessimist with car and I'm usually wrong. So I'm not going to mess with it until/if an actual code throws pertaining to that (the grey didn't cause me to fail my inspection, yellow would).

Yeah as I was thinking of it, I was like I'd just buy new IM. I have seen the threads on how to do it.

I really appreciate your time and insight, seriously. Much appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts