Focus Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ill try and give a more accurate description of what happened. I knew the clutch was going. First off. When it went I was traveling around 50 at around 4100 rpm. Which is much higher than it should be at that speed. Then the clutch pressure dropped to nothing and the engine cut off. It hasn't been able to start since. I didn't hear or feel anything'break' when it happened.

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,599 Posts
I would scan it before going further. Timing can only be verified by pulling the valve cover and #1 sparkplug and getting #1 to tdc and then seeing if the flats are lined up on the end of the camshafts.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Is there a way to bypass the sensor to trouble shoot the part?
1st step is to examine the sensor and the wiring. As I told you before it is common for there to be damage in the harness and the connector. It is a $12 part. I've never ohmed one out. The signal voltage is very low at the connector so you can take a meter and check for voltage. Fyi, the fuel pump will prime with a bad crank sensor but will turn off when the ecu doesn't see a signal from the sensor.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I'm not recommending throwing parts at it yet. One torx screw holds the sensor on. It is on the behind the exhaust on the engine block close to the bell housing. Pull it and take a look. Look for a broken wire at the connector or a crumbling connector. If you decide to replace the crank sensor and it doesn't work the next step is to check for jumped timing belt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Is there a trick to getting the sensor out? I've got it unfastened but it won't come out more then a 1/4 or so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got it out. It was broken. New part. Started right up.
Thanks to all of you with magnanimous joy and appreciation

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
If it happens again it is a sign of a worn crankshaft thrust bearing and you should be able to shim the sensor out a little so it doesn't get smacked by the flywheel again.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Glad you got it! That little sensor is critically important. How did the flywheel look when you removed it? I assume both those issue are related - something happened with the flywheel/clutch which also broke the crank sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The flywheel was in good shape.i resurfaced the contact point till it shined then cleaned in really good. Shimming the sensor is a great rip thank you. As I am a carpenter I can assure you that I will not be attempting and crankshaft replacement procedure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Car ran great for about 400 miles. Then whole pulling through a large intersection something popped and the car costed to a stop. The clutch has pressure. The engine runs great. The gear box shifts through. It however does not engage any gear.and can shift through while the engine is running withought depressing the clutch pedal.
Full disclosure. There was an intermittent pop sound. Kinda like jumping a bolt thread in the subframe area. I could feel it in the steering wheel and gas pedal. Not sure about the break.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Car ran great for about 400 miles. Then whole pulling through a large intersection something popped and the car costed to a stop. The clutch has pressure. The engine runs great. The gear box shifts through. It however does not engage any gear.and can shift through while the engine is running withought depressing the clutch pedal.
Full disclosure. There was an intermittent pop sound. Kinda like jumping a bolt thread in the subframe area. I could feel it in the steering wheel and gas pedal. Not sure about the break.
Sounds like the shift tower pin broke.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts

21 - 40 of 42 Posts