Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of swapping out my burned up cluth in my '02 zx3 hatchback. While driving I lost the clutch and the engine stopped running. After costing to a stop I tried starting it. Engine turned over but got no ignition. Haven't gotten it back together yet but is this going to be a weird issue when I do?

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,770 Posts
I'm not sure why the clutch completely burning up would cause the engine to not start unless it did some kind of damage on it's way out. I'm no expert on clutches though so maybe someone else has an idea.
It could just be a coincidence but if it happened at the exact same time then I would say it's related. Did you over rev the engine when the clutch went?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Probably the crank sensor got buggered. Clutches are pretty tough and while I've heard a lot of people claim you can "burn them up" I think most of that is baloney.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as I can tell without removing anything the timing belt is intact. My thought was that a sensor tripped some sort of safety protocol and would reset with no battery hooked up. I've got the assembly out. Have trouble lining it back up. I rolled the input shaft a little when I cleaned it up.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
As far as I can tell without removing anything the timing belt is intact. My thought was that a sensor tripped some sort of safety protocol and would reset with no battery hooked up. I've got the assembly out. Have trouble lining it back up. I rolled the input shaft a little when I cleaned it up.
The only sensor that I can think would cause that is the CPK right on the block under the header (pokes into the bell housing area to pick up the toothed wheel on the back of the flywheel).

If you're having trouble getting the transmission to pop in, have someone hold it straight on, and then turn the crank pulley clockwise from the other end of the engine slowly, and it should pop right on. If you removed the pressure plate and clutch disc, make sure you used the alignment tool.

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,595 Posts
The only sensor that I can think would cause that is the CPK right on the block under the header (pokes into the bell housing area to pick up the toothed wheel on the back of the flywheel).

If you're having trouble getting the transmission to pop in, have someone hold it straight on, and then turn the crank pulley clockwise from the other end of the engine slowly, and it should pop right on. If you removed the pressure plate and clutch disc, make sure you used the alignment tool.
X2..with the subframe in , it can very hard to get the transmission back in. Rotating the crank a little helps considerably if the subframe is still in. Pull the crankshaft position sensor and check for damage on the end. The wiring can also be damaged where it runs along the top of the transmission due to the split plastic wire protector rotting away.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
X2..with the subframe in , it can very hard to get the transmission back in. Rotating the crank a little helps considerably if the subframe is still in. Pull the crankshaft position sensor and check for damage on the end. The wiring can also be damaged where it runs along the top of the transmission due to the split plastic wire protector rotting away.
God bless the people who can get the transmission back in with the subframe still in place. At least with the Getrag, I had the subframe loose and still couldn't get it. Dropped subframe down a foot or so, and much much easier. All the room in the world to work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the bell back together. Now comes the task of running the correct length bolts it the corresponding holes. That will be tomorrow with daylight. Soon I will be able to tell if it will start.

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,770 Posts
Have you verified the timing belt as mentioned and if so how?
You may need to get a scanner to scan the car for codes to see what's been registered. Assuming that you didn't disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I disconnected the battery days ago. Looking into the crank shield I can see the belts and wheels turn. It's like it's not getting fuel. While I was driving the clutch lost pressure and the car shut off. It turns over. Just no fire.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I disconnected the battery days ago. Looking into the crank shield I can see the belts and wheels turn. It's like it's not getting fuel. While I was driving the clutch lost pressure and the car shut off. It turns over. Just no fire.
You can't see the timing belt through the crank cover. Lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can see in the shield. I can see the cam wheels turning... Everything sounds like it's working. I'm just not getting fuel or spark. I didn't have the issue before the car shut of while I was in motion. I can hear the fuel pump prime. I havent pulled anything fuel or spark related. Except the battery. All sensors and grounds are back where they belong.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Have you scanned for codes? Is the check engine light illuminated while cranking or does the light turn off on the extended crank?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Light stays on I think. Haven't scanned it yet. I have a loner scan tool but I don't know how to use it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts