Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a head gasket on my '02 Focus ZX3 w/ 2.0L Zetec and auto trans. The head has already been sent to the shop to get looked at. With everything off the engine, I'm really able to get a good look at it. I'm wanting to have the block and crank sent to the machine shop as well due to some wear in cylinder #1.
I have browsed some posts already regarding removing the engine. They all recommend removing the engine and trans as a unit either by removing from the top or lifting the car and dropping the subframe. Seeing as I don't have an engine hoist (or know anyone that has one), would I be able to remove the oil pan, windage tray, and everything from the front of the engine (oil pump, crank pulley, etc.) and lift the engine out by hand (maybe with an assistant)?

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,346 Posts
Jack up the car remove subframe and transaxle. Pull out the bottom. If you have the head off that makes it even easier.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Whether you take it out the top or bottom, with the trans or without, head or no head, oil pan, etc., you are going to need a hoist of some kind. You can rent them.

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whether you take it out the top or bottom, with the trans or without, head or no head, oil pan, etc., you are going to need a hoist of some kind. You can rent them.

Paul
Just got done with the removal. While one does not necessarily need an engine hoist to remove the engine from a mk1 focus, it's definitely worth the investment. I managed to remove the engine by jacking the car up, removing everything from the block except the oil pump and upper and lower oil pans, moved the ac compressor and power steering pump out of the way, and lowering the engine to the ground via a jack and a 4x4 with a ratchet strap around the transaxle for support. Transaxle and subframe were not removed.

After doing all that, I will be renting a hoist to install the engine. I'll probably remove the transaxle, mate it to the engine and install it the proper way.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Just got done with the removal. While one does not necessarily need an engine hoist to remove the engine from a mk1 focus, it's definitely worth the investment. I managed to remove the engine by jacking the car up, removing everything from the block except the oil pump and upper and lower oil pans, moved the ac compressor and power steering pump out of the way, and lowering the engine to the ground via a jack and a 4x4 with a ratchet strap around the transaxle for support. Transaxle and subframe were not removed.

After doing all that, I will be renting a hoist to install the engine. I'll probably remove the transaxle, mate it to the engine and install it the proper way.
(y)

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts