Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a lot of work done on my 2002 Focus SVT, including a clutch replacement. The shop that has it finished all the work and put in the new slave cylinder, clutch, gaskets, and flywheel. It was driven for a little bit the first two days after the work was done, and then on the third day, it started leaking transmission fluid out of the slave cylinder. The owner of the shop looked into it and ended up replacing the whole cylinder and gaskets (I'm not sure what he did before buying a new one). He said it worked fine for another day and then it started leaking again.

Now, I'm not sure if he's just having bad luck with slave cylinders, or if its some other issue. I'm not being charged for anything after the initial repairs so I'm not really worried about the cost, but I am worried about when I'll be getting my car back. Does anyone know what could be causing the cylinders to leak? Are they both just bad or could there be some other cause within the transmission or clutch causing it?

·
Registered
360 Posts
If it was really leaking transmission fluid out of the slave cylinder that would mean the transmission seal is shot. Are you sure it was transmission fluid and not brake/clutch fluid?

The logical assumption here was that he didn't replace the transmission seal, and he just took the car and held on to it, hoping that maybe the seals would swell a bit after a few days. that didn't work so now they have to pull everything apart again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turns out the transmission needs to be replaced. It keeps leaking and the mechanic had two ford techs out to look at it and they both said it needs to be replaced. Now I'm in the market for a new tranny :)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Ok the seal is part of the throw out bearing. it is well known that cheap ones of these leak, find yourself a ford one and try again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts