Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, how about a bone stock '02 SVT against a bone stock '98 Grand Prix GT with the 3.8L V-6 engine. Rated ~190 HP I can't find any other source other than one that says 0-60 in 7.2-7.6 seconds.
The car is owned by my Aunt and she's said she wants to race. My cousin says 200-215 hp, 225-235 TQ weighs 3414 LBS.
There's not alot of info for the non-GTP version of the Grand Prix.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
696 Posts
You'll lose.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
when u race, find a nice curvy road, and youll have a chance!

·
Registered
696 Posts
It's his Aunt. He'll lose.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
yeah those gran prix' are quick in a straight line for sure. I say go for it!!! but don't be disappointed if she kicks your ass royally! lol

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
They have 200 hp and 225 ft/lbs... (pretty sure on the torque, hp is correct). The motor is 8 or so years old... you never said miles, but I'm sure it's down on the hp rating a little.

IMO, I think you'll win. If not, go from a roll as the automatic will have an advantage on the launch.

I know how hard my bros GTP pulls (cammed, pulley, exhaust, intake, and a shitty tune), but I think my SVT would keep up with it from a roll.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it's a quick car, but the two cars are made for completely different things. The Prix is a quick, medium size sporty sedan while the SVT is a sport-hatch. It's hard to compare a hatch to basically anything other than another hatch (or something of comparable size)

The road of choice would be a less travelled straight as a pin highway in the area.

EDIT: the car has about 75,000 miles, but there's alot of wheel spin right off the line, so that could be my saving grace.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
i thought the 3800 pontiac engine was fast? that was the top of the line engine they put in the faster cars i thought? ignore me, i don't know nothing about GM[:)~]

·
Registered
557 Posts
I raced a Grand prix gt in my Eagle Talon TSI. and they stuck with me fairly well so i am going to have to go with the pontiac on this one. sorry

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I'll lose. There's always the loser fly-by! Or I could just drain all her oil before the race...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I can't believe you naysayers!

My bro (who belongs to Grand Prix forums, also had a non-GTP prior to owning his GTP) says that the non-GTP (previous bodystyle) runs low-mid 15's stock... best was 14.9. So in other words, close if you are good with a stock SVT! Betcha you'd win from a roll! It's got lots of miles on it, so that's in the SVT's favor as well!

I say do it and see how you do! Bet you win above 108 (think that's when they cutout).

·
Registered
696 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
you should have no problem with this one as long as youre a decent driver. My dad has a 2003 grand prix gtp and ive taken him from a dig before, ever so closely, but against a non supercharged one you should have no problem. 30 more horses + an extra 700-800lbs + greater drive train loss from auto= you only lose if you suck at driving

·
Registered
755 Posts
if its non GTP you will win. Have raced MANY of them in a Bolt On Zetec and have never lost. I have beat them in stock trim also. They are good of the line, but after 1st gear they get real SLOW. The numbers are fairly missleading, and its a auto.

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
You'll win I beat my buddys 99 MC z34 wich is pretty much the same car. He jumps me off the line , but I always pass him by the time i'm shifting into second. Milage destroys the pos 3800 series engine.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I believe the one that i raced was much newer, 2000+ so i could be wrong.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My cousin says just from being in both cars under full acceleration at different times, that her car seems to accelerate faster than mine, so I dunno..This isn't set in stone and I don't even know if she's serious about wanting to race.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts