Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was driving aprox. 55mph when it lost all power. I just got the belt off and it's missing about 6" of teeth. Neither cam will turn. On the intake cam all of the (looks like lifters to me) are on the lobes. But on the exhaust cam there are several sitting below the lobes. This makes me think I have several bent valves. And most of the cam lobes are not "mirror" shiny, but some are, so I'm thinking I need cams too. My situation is:I bought this as a salvage title have put 68000 miles on it, total being 128000 mi. I have maybe $2500.00 in the car. Is it worth repairing? I know there are many options, but, worste case scenario would be to have to replace the head, valves, cams, etc. Can someone give me their best guess what this is gonna cost? Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
If you can do the work yourself, your best bet is searching the BST section for a used engine. Sucks this happened. I would guess you are looking at $1000 or better. (if you have a shop do it you have $$$ in labor too)

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you have the time, pull the head and see what you have. I don't know which are interference engines, but you are going to have to spen money if you decide to fix it, which you would have to pull the head anyway. This way you can get an accurate idea of what needs to be done and go from there.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
You need to find out if you bent the valves. Svt is interference so you probably did. Buy a haynes manual and pull the head. Should take less than 2 hours if you dont mess around. Take the head to a machine shop to get it pressure checked and see if the will install new valves for you if you dont feel comfortable. Complete top end gasket set and head bolts at o'reilly's costs $140. I think valves cost like $20 apiece or less but you probably wont have to replace them all. Machine shop prices vary and a timing belt costs 50 bucks for a decent one. Do the math and decide whats best. Is it worth buying a new car? I wouldnt think so personally. I say fix it and keep it but then again im biased.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to fix it. It's a neat little car, my wife's dd, and she likes it. And yes, it will be much cheaper than buying a new vehicle. How do you get the heat shield off? Something that should be easy has me stuck. It's hitting the fans. Do I need to take the p/s pump off? I'm experienced on rwd cars and have changed the clutch, pp, slave, flywheel on this one. Kicking myself in the a$$ for letting this happen. Is there a "how to" thread somewhere on this sight for head r&r?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am sorry for the OP, but for all members reading this..........if you have an interference engine with some miles on it and you like the car, it is worth the $400 ($150 for parts and $250 if you have to pay someone to do it) to replace the TB pulleys, water pump and seals.......IMHO

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am sorry for the OP, but for all members reading this..........if you have an interference engine with some miles on it and you like the car, it is worth the $400 to replace the TB pulleys, water pump and seals.......IMHO
Why are you apologizing for? What's the meanings for "OP" and "IMHO"?
OP=Original Poster
IMHO=In My Humble Opinion

I used the word "sorry" because I did not want to hijack the thread and be cavalier to the OP......I felt bad for the OP that if he liked the car he should have swapped the TB out and saved a lot of headaches........but we are human and make mistakes.........maybe your thread will remind someone else with an interference engine to swap out the TB :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+1 What he said. DON'T WAIT on changing the timing belt. It's very easy compared to r&r the head. Thanks. I wasn't being defensive, just didn't know the acronyms. And, about the heat shield over the header. Do I need to remove the fan and/or rad.?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The heat shield is off. Took the fans off. The exhaust is loose. Gonna pop the clamps on the int. runners. Anyone know the size of the Torx on the cams? T55---Found it on this site! Done 4 the day.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the head off and all of the exhaust valves are bent. They all look slightly bent, just off center from where they should be. Anything I should do or be aware of before taking the head to the machine shop?

·
Registered
444 Posts
The heat shield is off. Took the fans off. The exhaust is loose. Gonna pop the clamps on the int. runners. Anyone know the size of the Torx on the cams? T55---Found it on this site! Done 4 the day.
Let us know, what happends! :D
Get some pixs of the svt and your current progress

·
Registered
520 Posts
make sure the machiene shop changes the valve guides seen lots of problems with shops not doing this lately.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Getting the head back today. How do I know what position to place the cams? The bar, I'm assuming will fit the cams at 180*. I dont want to have 1 cam 180* off from the other. AND, how to phase the intake cam? I've been reading threads on here and am confused. First things first though-cam position? Thanks, Ed.

·
Registered
520 Posts
the bar will only fit in 1 way the slot is off centered.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I took me awhile to do this repair due to health issues, but having completed this repair and reading back through this thread I feel stupid for some of the questions I asked. The "heat shield" and "cam position" questions. Thanks to all of you for your patience and advise. I ended up buying a ford service manual disc with all of the information I needed. The cost was $1020.53 parts(valves, gaskets, head bolts & spark plugs), and machine work. I'm afraid to think what the labor cost would've been had I had a shop do this. The pistons were ok. All 8 exhaust valves and 2 intake valves were bent. I replaced all of the valves. The valve guides were ok. Got hosed on the valve costs. After I bought them, I found a new set on ebay for $239.00, if anyone needs valves I'll try to find the guy's email address for you. I replaced replaced the timing belt idler and tensioner. Sorry, I was so focused on getting this job done I forgot to take photos of the head. I have all of the old parts and some pictures. I'll try and post them soon. I haven't started it yet, because I also replaced the clutch, pp, slave & flywheel and broke the slave. I have the tranny out, but will let you all know how it runs when I get it all back together.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Nice. Good to see you getting it going.

I had done my head and tranny a couple of months back. About the same cost as you. Saved a bit here and there, waiting for parts to go in the BST area and finding a good machine shop.

Putting it together was fun.

Good luck with the rest of the build. Have you noticed that it is actually quite an easy engine to work on?

-Ray-

1 - 20 of 27 Posts