Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving my car n heard a loud pop, so i stopped opened my hood and my intake manifold is sitting against the firewall. So i pushed it back into the 4 rubber hoses connecting it to the engine and started it and it runs for aboat 1 or 2 seconds then dies. So i thought it jumped time and back fired through the intake manifold so i put a timing belt and tensioner on it and it does the same thing. ive checked timing 4 times and its right on every time. I also did a compression test n each cylinder has about 110 lbs which from what i have read is low. I also did a leak down test n 2 cylinders are losing aboat 40% and the other 2 are less than 10%(which is within specs). Not sure if i bent some valves or not if any idea lmk.thanks

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Ummm,

So I pushed it back into the 4 rubber hoses connecting it to the engine and started it and it runs for about 1 or 2 seconds then dies
Right there is your problem.
The couplers have to be tight to prevent a vacuum leak. Right now I would guess you have a massive leak and with that the MAFS is going berserk. Fix the couplers and you should be set.

It probably wasn't a backfire that blew it off. The rubber gets stretched a lot when your on it hard and will eventually fail and leave you in the mess you are right now.
CFM sells a silicone coupler kit for around $25 IIRC (http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1108) or you could do as I did and use fuel filler hose.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
i would work on 1 problem at a time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts