Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch gave out I think. When I press the clutch in and put it in gear and depress the clutch it still idles. It does the same with every gear even reverse. I can put it in gear even without the clutch being pressed and it still idles. Idk what the problem is. I took it to the dealer and they said that I had to replace the transmission along with the clutch. They said that they disscontinued making that type clutch and started to make a diffent one, and you can put the new clutch with the old tranny or vice versa. i dont know what I should do they said it would be 8000, anyone have any answers or advice.[:(]

·
Registered
37 Posts
that dealer is full of crap... 8k??? thats what the car is worth.

it does sound like the clutch to me. if you want to go with the low cost route buy a stock clutch kit from luk clutch (last time i checked they were 450) and take your car to am aamco and have a tranny service. not a standard.. the one where they have to pull the whole thing out and check it all out. when they do that they can put back in your new clutch parts. its what i had done at my local shop. total for parts was 450.00 and the service and install ran me 400.

take this all with a grain of salt but its better to take it somewhere other than the dealer... those guys are just out to rape your pocket book.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
First thing I'd do, is check the shifter cables:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1979054&#post1979054
^^^Adjustment procedure for checking/adjusting the cables at the transmission end.

Then, check the cables at the shifter itself.
Maybe they popped off the shifter base?

It can happen, but it's not very common that a clutch will just die all at once.
Have you had any warning signs, like slipping in 4th through 6th gears?

Oh...BTW...[welcome]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts