Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has an svtf and has codes pointing to the 02 sensors when I changed them I put BOSCH in and I'm still getting the codes. Does he have to buy OEM replacements? What could be the reason for this?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to "Technical Chat".

9 times out of 10 it's been shown on this site that the Bosch sensors will cause trouble.
I highly recommend genuine/factory Motorcraft parts from the Dealer...or...
Get a hold of Mike Trendel (b16sir1991 on FF) at Hilbish Motors.
He is a vendor on this site, and has his own forums:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94
NOTE!
Calling him will get much quicker results than posting a thread or sending him a PM.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Most likely, the o2's weren't the problem, did you reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative terminal for about 15 minutes?

If you do that and they still return, drop by somewhere with a diagnostic tool scanner, like AutoZone, or a parts store to find out exactly what code it's throwing and go from there....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know what they should be reading? I have access to a high tech snap on scan tool that can read annnything... Could it be the converter?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
23 Posts
what is the code that u are getting? exact number? my catalytic converter is shot and at this point i cant remember what the code was but a can check it again, against what u get.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
those little bastards are a PITA. my CEL comes on for both sensors when I have a full tank. after a 1/4 tank has been ran thru, it goes away.

You didnt touch the tip did you? its covered in the box for a reason. Ive got bosch but i dropped and banged them when I put my cluthc in b/c I was going to buy 2 more.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
just an FYI, Motorcraft o2 sensors are bosch...just higher quality and are calibrated a bit different. the parts store's o2's run a tad on the rich side.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Last year I was getting the CEL on intermittently, as well as a code being thrown. Disconnecting the battery and reloading my tune would take care of things for a day or so, then it would all happen again.

Finally, I replaced the O2 sensor (Motorcraft, purchased from Hilbish) and its been fine and dandy ever since.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i had a similar problem. my o2 sensor was going off and even after i replaced them i drove it for a few days and it would go off again. come to find out that the exhaust mainfold was bent (had been run into a curb). it had pushed the exhause manifold and headder back and was causing the wires to overheat and set off the sensors. cost me 1500 to replace the header and manifold and put new o2 sensors in.. and i have not had a problem with it since.

·
Registered
711 Posts
i had a similar problem. my o2 sensor was going off and even after i replaced them i drove it for a few days and it would go off again. come to find out that the exhaust mainfold was bent (had been run into a curb). it had pushed the exhause manifold and headder back and was causing the wires to overheat and set off the sensors. cost me 1500 to replace the header and manifold and put new o2 sensors in.. and i have not had a problem with it since.
I did this too, but had the local muffler shop heat and rebend the header ($100) and popped in a new Upsteam sensor, dont care about rear one for now, no testing in my area for smog or whatnot. Nice $150 fix =)

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'm running a Denso upstream sensor. Working well and the motor hasn't hiccupped once. Just an fyi.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts