Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and didn't find anything similar that followed the same guidelines as my problem ... Heres a little background on the car to start, as I know there are countless "HELP ME!" threads with no information. [?|]

2002 Focus SE, 5 speed manual, lady driven *sister*, never driven hard, always serviced regularily, always to-the-book fluids and shit (always under dealership). 76,000 km's or so, more or less I forget. Never a problem mechanical that wasn't instantly taken care of.

Onto the bad stuff. about 100 km's ago (car was taken off the road when clicking started ..) this clicking/pinging/knocking sound (I say all 3 because I still haven't the slightest idea where this sound is from..) It's loud, like knocking, only not loud enough.. I'll get a video in the next few days and post the link for anyone who thinks they can help..

Onto what I know. The slave and/or master cylinder is damaged. Leaking or something .. Says mechanic - the reservoir was low and I filled it (a day after clicking started I checked the reservoir..) The car is due for a service and has gone like, 300km over the little "service me!" sticker - which isn't a big deal .. Ford said they wouldn't fix the cylinder under warranty, and quoted me a 400-600 dollar job for it. Which is why the car was taken off the road, my sister doesn't have the money to fix the car for that much and didn't want to drive it as it was damaged.

Things I was considering as problems would be .. Pressure plate, wheel bearing, cylinder knock, pre-detonation, and maybe clutch problems..

Reasons why I've disregarded them all minus wheel bearing is ...

-- The car clicks/knocks whatever in the forward 5 gears. From idle to redline.
-- The car does not click when in reverse
-- The car does not click when the clutch is in and the car is revved
-- The car does not click when in neutral

-- The clutch has a very nice feel, not spongy, not overly tough. Feels the same as it did the day we bought it.
-- The car accelerates the same as it did before from what I remember
-- The car sounds as if it's idling a little rough, somewhat different.. I'll have to again video it so someone can hear what I'm hearing.
-- Turning, braking, handling, ride comfort, height etc. all seem exactly the same.

I was thinking it might be pre-detonation from low octane (87 octane) and was considering trying octane booster and 89 or 91... However, if it was pre-ignition it'd still do it in neutral.. And if it only does it under load, why not in reverse as well.

Any idea's would be GREATLY appreciated.. I don't have the money to go to a mechanic and end up paying 500-1000 to fix this crap, and I don't want to keep driving the car damaged, hence why it's not driving .. I can fix it myself, I have the tools and I've done enough things before, and know enough people to help me get this done in a day or two, and the car being off the road for a few days/week is no problem..

Thanks alot for any advice anyone can give me.. Any "just take it to a mechanic..." isn't needed, thanks, I don't exactly have that option right now ..

This has now become such a frustrating issue that i want to find out what the hell the problem with the car is .. I've been able to find, and fix, any problem thats ever happened with any of my other cars, not knowing whats going on with this car is just bugging me now. Any help is, like above stated, GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.

Oh, and the car is completely stock. =)

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
most rookies tend to give not enough info when asking for help.... good to see we dont have this problem here....

the only thing you left out is which engine you have.

if you have the SPI, there is a pretty common noise that has been described as a knocking/pinging/clicking sound

search the SPI forum for "noise" and see if your noise and the SPI noise sound like the same deal....

(actually, i am feeling like a nice guy today, so i will do it for you.... search)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Judging from other peoples cars who are base SE's, I think (I'm not sure) that all SE's are SPI powered, right? Unless it says otherwise somewhere..?

The car was brought into ford when the clicking first started and they said valves and quoted something rediculously high, which is why the car was just taken off the road instead of fixed .. My sister is also incredibly pissed at me so she wont let me near the car so, untill she gets her mind straight that I'm trying to help save her money I'm not going to be able to check anything, or get the video I wanted to get.

And yeah, I know rookies tend to give no information at all .. Such as "My car is slow. Why" And after 2 pages of probing questions you find out it's a honda civic running on 3 cylinders cus it has 350,000 km's on it .. That frustrates me more then I care to say, but yeah, I try not to do that .. Because my problems with my cars are always so specific when I try to get help, I rarely get any replies, but when I do get a reply it's usually spot on, which saves me money checking everything suggested.

When I get a chance I'll pop the valve cover off and check the valves, and that EGR pipe or whichever it's called - I think I know where it is .. And I'll check CV's and all that basic stuff, that it doesn't sound like at all.

Thanks alot crazy_urn, I didn't think to check spi tech section as I didn't know which engine I had .. After looking at pictures I'm pretty sure it's an SPI so.. yeah.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
SEs are a mixed bag...some of them have SPIs, others have Zetecs. I believe towards the end of 2002/beginning of 2003 they were almost all Zetec because Ford was clearing their warehouse engine stock out before the switch was made to the Duratec as Ford's cross-platform I4.

Its easy to tell...the SPI has an aluminum valve cover that says "Split-Port 2.0", while the Zetec has a sleeker black valve cover that says "Zetec 16v" on it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
On the subject to checking you CVs. Usually CV joints only pop in a turn and not while the wheels are pointed straight. This problem doesn't sound like a CV problem.

You had said earlier that the car doesn't make the sound while sitting still. Have you poped the hood while the car was running and kind of scan your ear over the engine bay? I had an issue before that I only noticed while moving (squeeling noise) and didn't think it was making the noise while stoped. Once I started the car , poped the hood and checked you could actaully hear the sound. The sound was just very feint.

Something else to consider is perhaps you have 1 or 2 motor mounts going out. When you put the car in a forward gear the engine torques on the mounts and bumps up against a frame rail. This wouldn't happen in reverse because there is no railing that runs on the opposite side of the engine.

I hope you find the problem soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.