Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made a thread yesterday about the car not starting after changing the spark plugs and wires. Had my bro in law come over and set it up correctly but it's not getting fuel now. He checked the fuses and relays which were fine. We checked the fuel inertia switch which wasn't the problem. He checked everything he could see under the hood and it all looked fine. He thinks it could be the fuel pump or possibly the alarm the original owner had but disabled. It has 1/4 tank of gas so I'm sure it's not that and the odometer reset, maybe from changing everything. Anyone else have this issue? As a last resort I'll go to a shop to see what's wrong.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511001&page=2

Did you plug the fuel injectors back in?
Did you verify the correct routing for the spark plug wires?

Other than that, there should be nothing wrong.
Yes everything is plugged in correct.
I'm not sure what part this is, but he opened the fuel line under the hood and he said when I crank it, or try to start it, it should spew out a bunch of gas, but nothing comes out.

I really hope I don't need a new fuel pump, as I'm sure that would be a couple hundred to replace...any other ideas?

He asked me a few times if there was fuel, and there is still a quarter left, so that shouldn't be the problem, unless that meter stopped working or something.
He said I could get like a gallon of gas, fill it up and try, but I'm pretty sure thats not the issue.

Btw it worked perfectly fine when I changed the first spark plug yesterday to make sure they work.
I'm 99% sure I didn't mess anything up while changing the rest of the plugs and wires out, but who knows. =(

He also checked for any computer codes and nothing came up, which is weird because normally the same EGR always comes up.

·
Registered
17,152 Posts
Yes, pump must run for a couple seconds then shut off when key turned on. You hear it under the back seat. If no, pump is not working. Not unusual for them to simply fail like that.

If pump is the early one on the recall and it has never been changed they can not pump if fuel level is below 1/4 tank. Stopped up strainer on the pump. My '02 did it. If past say 75K miles and ethanol laced fuel used in your area you're there.

A gallon of gas, if that was all there is in tank, is how you burn pumps up in modern FI cars, the pump running dry for 60 seconds can do it. You always fill more than enough when facing pump issues since a gallon may easily not prime the pump. I warrantied pumps all day long from people who burned up pumps doing that. I use no less than three gallons when I do one. More if big truck tank.

Not changing fuel filter will burn up pumps on these too, you treat filter like a routine item now, not doing so will cost you much more. Need one like every 30K miles or so. Backdrain the one that comes off and you'll see why.....they commonly fill with mud brought in with the ethanol component of the fuel.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Look, you're over thinking things.
You said yourself that it ran before you played with the ignition wires. That's the only thing you played with so that means it's where the problem is. It's not going to be some random, the fuel pump died or anything. It's in the repairs you made.

You said you didn't realize there was an order to the wires. Sailor provided you with a diagram. You never said if you looked at it and double checked, other than a 'I think so'. Triple check and be confident that it's correct and all the connections are correct.
If all that checks out, look for an ignition fuse, or some other fuse that may be bad. They'd be a freak occurrence but still more likely than a bad fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
For another "simple" possibility, plugs could be wet/fouled from starting attempts with the wires in the wrong positions.

amc's comment on adequate fuel is well taken as well, another member just found his out of gas at 1/4 tank reading - posted just this week.

·
Registered
17,152 Posts
I had a fuel pump die right after doing a timing belt, it can freakily happen. I thought for sure my work was faulty till I realized the pump was not coming on. No warning whatsoever it was coming either.

Occam's razor like iminhell says, the thing you last did most likely the problem there if it ran before you did it.....................

1 - 9 of 9 Posts