Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 Ford Focus Station Wagon SE. When you turn the key to the run position the chime stays on and does not shut off. Nothing on the dash board lights up! and the car will not go out of park. And the windows will not go up. the car will not start. I have tried everything I can think of with the key unlocking the door manually or with the the button, undid the batterie for a hour with the headlights turned on. tested the batterie and its good. Im not even close to a tech but I do have some back yard knowledge. But I am truthfully stuck on this one. I have drove this car for 3 years and it runs great. I dont want to scrap it. can someone plz help me!!!!

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Ok, let's break this problem down into pieces:
When you turn the key to the run position the chime stays on and does not shut off.
This is normal behaviour when you leave the keys in the ignition with the ignition off.

Nothing on the dash board lights up! and the car will not go out of park. And the windows will not go up. the car will not start
All normal behaviour with ignition off.

I have tried everything I can think of with the key unlocking the door manually or with the the button, undid the batterie for a hour with the headlights turned on.
Not sure of the point of doing any of these things.

tested the batterie and its good.
Good being 12,6V+, right? Regardless, I assume the battery isn't even attempting to turn the engine over (i.e. it's a no turn over, no start vs a turn over, no start situation) so it sounds like starter isn't being "prompted" to engage.

So what's the PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) light in the middle of the dash doing during an attempted start? Flashing at a normal rate as usual or flashing rapidly or did it go out when the key was inserted and turned? Is it permanently off? All clues as to what position the PCM "sees" the ignition key in.

Initially it sounds to me as your ignition switch is broken. i.e. regardless of how the key is turned, it's not operating anything. That's not the key and tumbler on the right side of the column but the actual switch mechanism the key operates. May be as simple as a loose electrical connection or something n the switch could be broken. You'd need to undo the steering column cowling to have a look.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Assuming you checked the fuses and they are good, it almost sounds to me that there may be an issue with the starter switch http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3604572&cc=1432170 that the ignition cylinder operates, or an issue with the ignition cylinder itself so that when you turn the key it doesn't rotate the starter switch.

The switch itself is easily accessed, remove the steering column shroud, unplug the switch (on the left side of the column) and unsnap the switch from the column. You can then rotate the switch with a flathead screwdriver to see if manually moving the switch causes the car to turn on and start. If it doesn't work you will most likely have to replace the switch. Also make sure the switch hole isn't damaged (i.e. looks like the picture above), as it is made of plastic and can wear out or break.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts