Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Forum and looking for advice/guidance:

Bought a 2012 SE hatchback new in June of 2012. Have been through the transmission issues with multiple trips to the dealer to fix/replace clutch, reprogram TCU, etc.

Latest clutch replacement a month ago, now have a grinding/bearing noise finally diagnosed (after three trips to the dealership where they said "all we hear is normal tire tread noise"). Finally diagnosed by the dealer on a day when the shop foreman was filling in for the service manager, and was enthusiastic about solving my issue (probably because I informed him of an appointment at another Ford dealer next week to get a proper diagnosis). Diagnosis, which I feel is accurate: Transmission final drive bearing failure, not covered by extended warranty".

Only 56K gently driven miles on this car, and now an internal transmission failure, in a unit worked on repeatedly by the dealer! Now a battle to try to get Ford to step up and own this repair. Any advice? Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
Can't imagine why extended warranty wouldn't cover that beyond expiration of it. I note as well that a fail of the pass side axle inboard carrier bearing could sound the exact same way and be whoppingly cheaper to fix. What happens when dealers get lit up, they look for the most expensive part to change while playing the odds that the issue is actually much simpler and easier than that. Just look around at all the repair done now, NONE of it is ever the cheaper easy parts, they always say it is one of the most cost intensive things that can be found in whatever complaint you give them. Like here. The typical effort to get back the lost 'free' warranty work cost when they actually made money off that too.

What happens in a new Trump world.........truth is not truth and lies are 'good business'.

Unless OP does burnouts every minute or tows it's likely that bearing is not dead at that mileage. Get another independent opinion.

Dealers..........you gotta love 'em........or not.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Good luck trying to get Ford to do anything. My stupid ‘13 Focus DCT needs another clutch & only has 38k miles & they won’t cover it under any powertrain warranty. It’s a joke. You could try calling Ford Customer Care, however those reps. are often times so clueless that I typically up just hang up because I can’t take the nonsense much longer than just a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a weeklong effort to talk to a supervisor at Ford Customer Care, I finally received a callback from a "Supervisor", just calling to repeat denial of my claim.

Is there any recourse available (possibly with the dealership) given that the failed trans in this car had been worked on by them multiple times, and as recently as one month ago? Are the final drive bearings in these transmissions known to fail at just 56K miles?

If there are other possible routes to make a successful claim, my perception is that Ford will not help or provide guidance at all.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jeff

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
The final drive bearings fail rarely in that mileage unless you like to dragrace.

Again, they are picking a known max value fault which is likely a lie to get the biggest repair cash amount they can and what a LOT of dealers of all marques do now with problem vehicles that cause trouble over and over, they decide to take you into bankruptcy as that is the only way they can make money with the problems the cars now exhibit. Because they absolutely cannot fix them reliably across the board, that's for sure.

Look up the fiasco that is the Nissan CVT trans that comes in almost every car they build now, they don't even touch the transmissions now other than to 100% change them out only. Nissan supplies no OTC parts for them at all, even the service manuals say change out only. No more minor fix than that is available other than a TCM. The cars break down by the thousands and often under the 60K mile warranties. The life of that trans type is totally unknown due to the fails which can occur literally at any mileage, there have been fails at 500 miles. The want of MTX cars is now becoming a major issue, they are becoming hard to find due to the want.

At seven years of use Ford will likely consider the owner to have gotten his money's worth out of the car, like that one guy who complained about an engine fail at 70K miles and Ford sent him a letter saying he got his full money's worth and they would gladly sell him a new car. They lie like hell about how long they last then you can't find them when it turns out to be far from true.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
What happens in a new Trump world.........truth is not truth and lies are 'good business'.
Your description of the unethical behavior by dealers is probably accurate for far too many of them, but it predates the election of our current president by many decades.

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
Trump is just an accelerant like gasoline is to a fire. Business has always lied to the public, he just made it OK to go much further with it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good luck trying to get Ford to do anything. My stupid ‘13 Focus DCT needs another clutch & only has 38k miles & they won’t cover it under any powertrain warranty. It’s a joke. You could try calling Ford Customer Care, however those reps. are often times so clueless that I typically up just hang up because I can’t take the nonsense much longer than just a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Had mine done in August of 2017, had it done again last week at 194000 miles, picked it up yesterday, made it 30 miles and it started slipping again. This time they said it was the TCM and was going to cost me $500.00. I said what a coincidence that you just tore my Transmission apart and now the TCM for it goes within 30 miles. After a threat of a lawyer, they decided to pick up the cost and labor to replace it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2014 SE with 49k miles started making a wailing sound that's loudest between 40 and 75 mph. I tried the swerving test to see if it was wheel a bearing, negative. Tire shop's opinion is that the noise is coming from the trans.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow. Would someone please advise me on how to get the dealer to repair for the minimum cost? Like what to say and do so that I don't get worked over. My education is in mechanical engineering, so don't be afraid to get technical.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My 2014 SE with 49k miles started making a wailing sound that's loudest between 40 and 75 mph. I tried the swerving test to see if it was wheel a bearing, negative. Tire shop's opinion is that the noise is coming from the trans.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow. Would someone please advise me on how to get the dealer to repair for the minimum cost? Like what to say and do so that I don't get worked over. My education is in mechanical engineering, so don't be afraid to get technical.
Does the sound go away if you are between 40 and 75 and put it in neutral. That might help to eliminate some possibilities.

As far as the dealer goes, just have them diagnose and tell you what is wrong and then you can decide how best to get it fixed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts