Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
back again with some odd problems.
in warm weather shortly after the car gets up to operating temp. it will start bucking, bog, stutter, and then the engine shuts off. if you let it sit for a couple minutes it will start right back up and be alright for awhile then do this process all over again. i have done the usual iacv, pcv and pcv hose, fuel filter, ignition coil, plugs, plug wires, oil change, and coolant flush. also cleaned the MAF with maf specific cleaner. is there anything else i should look into?? this is getting to be quite aggrivating. it does have a CEL for the iacv (replaced twice) and occasionally the o2 sensors. but the cel is never on for the same reasons.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Fuel pressure read while it does it. Pump if never been changed, take note of fuel level, will be worse as tank gets lower.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Fuel pressure read while it does it. Pump if never been changed, take note of fuel level, will be worse as tank gets lower.
Where do you check the fuel pressure at on these things? Im not hijacking the thread, but I've been around these cars quite a bit (i feel like it anyways), and have not seen a place to test fuel pressure.

Back on topic, how many miles are on the car? Have you had to top your coolant levels off before any of this happened? Done a compression test on the motor? Also, check the wiring to the IAC. If you have replaced it and keep getting the code, then it sounds like there is some sort of problem there. I would check wiring to it, to make sure there are no bare or broken wires anywhere.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Where do you check the fuel pressure at on these things? Im not hijacking the thread, but I've been around these cars quite a bit (i feel like it anyways), and have not seen a place to test fuel pressure.
A few older Foci have a schrader valve to tap into but MOST foci do not. I tapped into the fuel system to measure fuel pressure recently. Here is how I did it->
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476818&page=2

I thought my FRPS might be screwed-up, so I wanted to measure the actual FP with a hand held gauge. End result was; my FRPS was not messed-up.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Scan tool is the easiest way to check fuel pressure, odd results can be checked as Marde did to make sure the sensor is OK.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it clear up at higher RPM or just dies before you have a chance to get there?
all rpm ranges, idle, cruise, acceleration. it just sputters and dies when it wants to.

Scan tool is the easiest way to check fuel pressure, odd results can be checked as Marde did to make sure the sensor is OK.
ill try to get it connected sometime this week or next week, but not very probable. im starting to really hate this car, and wish i could roll it through a corn field.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
It's no different from any other computer controlled car. They all produce about the same symptoms with anything that goes wrong, i.e. they quit running well and hard to diagnose using the old school skills since the bad running does not clearcut pinpoint the cause like older cars often did. Why one has to get smarter about it or give up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts