Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 zx3. I'm looking to replace/ upgrade my rear and front suspension. In front I recently replaced the tie rod ends, control arm, sway bar links, and the basics.
I just need suggestions on good brands of shocks and struts/ springs. I don't mind doing stock but if I can I would like to raise it or keep the regular ride height. The shocks are worn all around and there is rattling over bumps. I am also going to replace the rear crossmember. I was considering an SVT kit but I don't really want to lower the car as I have a bit oversized tires. I want to keep the ride height stock or even 1/2 inch to 2 inch raised up. I live in the Chicagoland area I need something beefier and higher suspension to handle the potholes. Basically I need some help and advice to be pointed in the right direction for a good overall suspension kit or brand that will serve my needs. Any words are appreciated. I am going to replace the shocks, springs crossmember, bushings rear control arms the whole nine yards. Just need help moreso with what brand/type of shocks will serve me best thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You're going to be limited if you want to keep stock height or go higher. What size tires are you running? 0.75" lower will be too much (SVT kit)? If you want to keep the stock height, put KYB AGX on along with keeping your stock springs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Chicagoan here too--couldn't agree more about the lousy roads. Funny how they are always working on them and they never get better...

I went with Moog control arms, end links, and tie rod ends in the front--not sure if I would advise the tie rod ends from Moog, or if there is something wrong with my knuckles. The studs of the tie rod ends could not be sufficiently tightened without me adding a washer under the castellated nut. Either the taper on the stud is wrong, or the hole in my knuckle is wallowed out...

Dorman rear lower control arms out back, because they were cheap and I needed them fast. Come spring I'm doing Moog upper control arms in back, and a new (used) subframe from a Mk 3 Focus.

For shocks and struts I went with Monroe because of cost, a rebate, and lifetime warranty. Check your rear springs--I had a broken rear spring and never knew it. With new springs, it looks jacked up in back, but it is stock.

Unless you really pony up the dollars, any parts brands are going to be hit and miss, quality-wise. At least that's been my experience.

Advance (Carquest) has decent pricing and you can use coupon code chrisfix25 for 25 per cent off most purchases.
I do NOT work there...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're going to be limited if you want to keep stock height or go higher. What size tires are you running? 0.75" lower will be too much (SVT kit)? If you want to keep the stock height, put KYB AGX on along with keeping your stock springs.
I'm running 215 45r17 Westlake tires. They are a bit oversized and they do rub a bit when I hit a bid dip or bump.i think the svt kit gives a 1/2 inch drop but yea I'd rather have the little clearance I got I can pass some curbs easy but I really don't want to go lower. Branding wise I'm just shopping rn I want the best for sure and I have my mechanic already who has done all my work so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chicagoan here too--couldn't agree more about the lousy roads. Funny how they are always working on them and they never get better...

I went with Moog control arms, end links, and tie rod ends in the front--not sure if I would advise the tie rod ends from Moog, or if there is something wrong with my knuckles. The studs of the tie rod ends could not be sufficiently tightened without me adding a washer under the castellated nut. Either the taper on the stud is wrong, or the hole in my knuckle is wallowed out...

Dorman rear lower control arms out back, because they were cheap and I needed them fast. Come spring I'm doing Moog upper control arms in back, and a new (used) subframe from a Mk 3 Focus.

For shocks and struts I went with Monroe because of cost, a rebate, and lifetime warranty. Check your rear springs--I had a broken rear spring and never knew it. With new springs, it looks jacked up in back, but it is stock.

Unless you really pony up the dollars, any parts brands are going to be hit and miss, quality-wise. At least that's been my experience.

Advance (Carquest) has decent pricing and you can use coupon code chrisfix25 for 25 per cent off most purchases.
I do NOT work there...
I definitely have to do my rear subframe and new springs and dampeners. My spring mount is rusted to hell. I did the lower and upper rear control arms and links too. The front end I did recently less than a year with Detroit axle parts. Not bad at all there is a little play and knock in the front but that's my linkage and steering that has to be done as well. My rack and pinion is next to be replaced. I've been doing it slowly but surely. I just know the suspension is shot every bump I run tires and bounce alot. Thanks for the advice I'm gonna take it into consideration for sure because I'm halfway there with replacing the bad parts. Also I need more info on that mk3 rear subframe?They are compatible? I need to source one I don't mind the price but I seen some from 189-400 and don't know the difference.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'm running 215 45r17 Westlake tires. They are a bit oversized and they do rub a bit when I hit a bid dip or bump.i think the svt kit gives a 1/2 inch drop but yea I'd rather have the little clearance I got I can pass some curbs easy but I really don't want to go lower. Branding wise I'm just shopping rn I want the best for sure and I have my mechanic already who has done all my work so far.
Those are stock SVT size tires so you should be fine on the SVT suspension kit.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I read on here on this forum that the rear subframes are compatible, but in searching, I noticed some had an exhaust hanger and some didn't, so that's something to consider. And as you saw, prices are all over the place.

The mk1 subframes are much harder to find than the mk3s are, and you should be able to find one of those for under 200 bucks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts