Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01 ZX3 5 speed has a clunking noise that happens when I release the clutch from first to second or if I'm coasting in gear and then push the gas you can hear the noise. I have replaced the right strut which had a broken coil spring, right side inner tie rod, right front motor mount. I'm not sure if my next step will be the rear engine / trans mount which is $27 and looks to be an easy fix or if I'm going to put a cv axle in which is $70 and is a bit harder to do. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the lower trans mount known as a strut mount near the drain plug? If so where is the other one? How many mounts is there total? Thanks in advance!

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
My car had the same problem. I replaced my coil springs (also broken, there was a recall) and I replaced the CV axle. Make sure you replace the strut mounts as well. My passenger side strut mounts were completely fried and bound up. That could be the problem.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Three mounts. Since you already replaced the expensive one, it's good practice to go ahead and replace the other two.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where are the strut mounts that you replaced? I am trying to do process of elimination in order of price!

·
Registered
438 Posts
When you replaced the right strut, did you do so as a complete unit or strut and coil only? The mount would be the bushing and bearing plate associated with the strut unit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I'm not sure. I took three nuts off under the hood and one bolt out of the lower control arm area. I saw the y shaped mount that's called a strut engine tranny mount near the drain plug. Where is the third located? I'm flipping this car so I don't want to go overboard but I defiantly want to fix what's wrong

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put a lower trans engine mount on tonight and still have the clunking noise. I am forced to put a cv axle in and see what happens. (fingers crossed)!

·
Registered
438 Posts
How are the sway bar end links, they are common for making a clunking noise? Or maybe tierod end?
Did you replace the shock/strut with a complete unit?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I checked my passenger side mount 3 or 4 times. When I finally removed it, it actually fell apart. I drove me crazy for a couple weeks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just put a pass side sway bar end link on and still hearing the noise. I took the wheel off and while on the jack I worked the clutch to try and make the noise and wha la! It is the freaking brake rotor. Even eith the wheel very tight the rotor still has play where the studs go through it! Anyone ever run into this? The only thing I can think is that since the car was wrecked at one pointe is that maybe a new hub was installed and it was off a newer focus and this 01 rotor does not fit tight enough on the studs. I know it should have a lil room to move but this moves back and fourth quite a bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I lightly tack welded the rotor to the hub to take it for a ride and see if the rotor was still clunking and I didn't hear a thing! I am now thinking that I got a junk strut from the junkyard. Is there any way to tell if it's bad while on the car? Now over slight bumps it's clunking and rattling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts