Focus Fanatics Forum banner

01 zx3 build back to acceptable

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Malibooya 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys so this is really my first thread so ill start by introducing myself. Im a huge car guy but mostly spend my time working on mitsubishi's mainly galant vr4's, eclipse/eagle gsx's and evo's so the focus is new to me. I got my focus, 2001 zx3 maroon, for $1000 from a friend with some major cosmetic damage and in dire need of a suspension overhaul. So this posting will be of the build to get this car back to some glory hopefully make it as fun to drive as possable a long the way.

The first mods will be all to suspension mostly trying getting the engine runnnig smoothly and getting all my general matenience done before throwing money into the engine and kill it prematurely.

Ive ordered a set of coils to get the suspension back. Since the stock is so blown from the previous owner putting lowering springs on stock struts every i hit a bump I am scared the oil pan will rip off.

i also am starting work on the cosmetic damage. The drivers side fender is destroyed and the bumper is gone. So a new fender is being sprayed as we speak and i am in search of a new front bumper.

Next posting will be pics of the car as it sits now then with the new coils and hopefully the front end looking semi acceptable.

See less See more
#5 ·
heyyy i might just make you my new best friend lol I bought a galant ls v6 a while back for a dd and the car was great up until it reach 150 k and its been a downhill turn lol kinda grew attach to it tho. anyways WELCOME!

#8 ·
as promised pics!!

Got to love some good front end damage!

Now time to fix all metal fender 60 sipped all primned and ready to paint

Next up will be finished fender and hopefully raceland coilover install along with new front wheel hubs and bearings and possably tubular A arms if budget allows.

#10 ·
Well ran into another little problem last night but not sure if it was a fluke or theres something wrong. Driving home from work the car got warmer then it has before it wasnt in the red but got close. I was on the freeway and it didnt do it again this moring but to start ill replace the thermostat and add some coolant. Hopefully that fixes it since every weekend i drive around 400 miles to work and home.

#12 ·
Actually turned out to be the thermostat housing gasket the connects to the head and the water pump. The even more fun part about it is the water pump is siezed to the head all the smaking in the world wouldnt knock it off. Atleast i was gonna do the timing belt anyways gonna have to remove the water pump housing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.