Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To begin with I've been a quad in a wheelchair for the last 25 years (diving accident a while back) I've been autocrossing my 91 Miata for the last 4 years.

I've wanted to try a fun FWD platform and eventually try some track days with it, as well as a secondary autocross car. My Miata has no a/c and a really crappy top - which I don't want to spend the $ on to replace - it won't help it go any faster :)

So I picked up this 01 ZX3 a couple of months ago

added another set of hand controls I had laying around, just like the set in the Miata

I decided to ditch the 'too low' Eibach Sport springs in favor of a complete Eibach Pro suspension kit.

After much reading on this great site I discovered the SVT header swap and bought a header/flex/cat from another board member, sandblasted it, and ceramic painted it

I had a local exhaust shop handle the swap and run new 2.25" piping out the back with a single muffler (no resonator). It sounds pretty good, a little buzzy up high, but definitely not too loud.

I promptly proceeded in blowing the flex part of the stock power steering line, yep - I didn't bend it far enough away from the new SVT header!! So I got CFM's new splice in SVT line conversion kit, and had a buddy help install it. It worked like a champ.

Lastly we flashed in a 91 octane tune with alternator cutout at WOT and more aggressive shift profiles for the ATX. I have to use an ATX due to the hand controls, and inoperable legs, and yes, the Miata is Autotragic as well.

Now it looks like this

I added the Sparco Assetto Gara wheels and Kuhmo Ecstas when doing the suspension swap. The stock wheels were 17.75 lbs each!!!! I believe the Garas are @ 13 lbs each.

My last hurdles are some decent seats that will accept 5 point harnesses and a harness bar. I considered Corbeau A4s like I have in the Miata, but they're pretty damn hard, and my girlfriend hates them [facepalm].

Any seat suggestions would be very welcome.

Track days are definitely in this car's future, and possibly a Rallycross...or two [:)]

mark

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Cool to see a Quad. doing autox.
If you want to run some great times. Throw the Eibachs in the trash :) and go with Koni adjustable and H&R race springs. I used to run Eibach. Worst suspension for autox I have had. (Supensions I have used: Sportlines with prodampers, H&R standard kit, SVT suspension cause it came stock) Prodampers are garbage for anything but daily use. Sportlines are good for looking low and that is it.
As far as harnesses. I threw on Corbeau 3 points and connected then to the back seat belt bracket. They are comfortable and great as I can disconnect the harness from the back and have them out of the way for daily use.

Love your Miata. One of the best Autox cars out there. Love the Focus as well.
If you need any help with future suspension, tire, etc mods for the track make sure to check out the autox/road course section.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WUG - thanks man. I looked at those 4 points, but experience has taught me that I NEED 5 points, I yank the shoulder straps TIGHT, and without the anti-submarine belt the waist belts pull up too far.

I went the Eibach route to have a decent compromise for all of the intended uses, trackday/autocross/rallycross/general fun car, and the whole kit wasn't obscenely priced.

mark

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
^^Understandable.
In the future if you plan on spending any money on more suspension, go ahead and get the Koni Adjustables and pair them with your current springs. Watch your Times shrink considerably. In a matter of fact, using your car for Autocross and Rally cross you may need to replace those shocks sooner then you think.

I have not looked into racing seats but I am sure you can find someone that knows a good amount about the ones that fit best in the Focus.
Good luck with your focus racing ventures and have fun learning the quarks of a FWD. You have a great platform to start with.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
I awesome accomplishment to overcome your physical set back to put you in your hobby.

Welcome to the site and definitely awesome to see you push AutoX.

-Ray-

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
**Double Post**

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again guys.

It will likely be a while before I replace anything suspension wise, as the Z will see only foul weather autocross duties and hopefully a couple of trackdays a year. I read about the H&R/Koni setup, but it was pretty pricey - if the Z were my only 'recreational' car I would definitely have considered it. I have a pretty sweet setup on the Miata - GC coilovers around custom valved Bilstein monotubes and some pretty stout springs, so I can truly understand were you're coming from regarding a sound/quality suspension package.

The seats/harnesses, I've learned through the Miata, are critical for someone without trunk muscle/balance, like me, to stay planted in the seat - and not trying to steady with hands that are already occupied :)

This is a great site, full of great info and great people....like you guys. And I hope to be around here for a while.

mark

·
Registered
528 Posts
Really loving what you did to the focus looks very clean with that black and yellow. Great to hear that your not letting your injuries hold you back. Great work. Will be looking for more in the future. [woot][thumb]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks speedracerZX3, the bodykit and color were already done. I just did the wheels/tires and cleaned it up a bit :)

2002greenzx3 - I learned a while ago that the more challenging a goal is the more sweet the success :) I love cars and death will be the only thing that prevents me from enjoying them. That's not to say that it's always easy, but it is always worth it!!!

mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts