Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 Cat has the downstream o2 sensor after the cat
02 cat has the downstream 02 sensor in the middle of the cat

Will putting a cat out of an 02 into an 01 make a difference because of the different downstream o2 sensor position??

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2 cats, both from ZETECS. one was out of a standard one out of an auto.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Both SHOULD work, the '02 MAY "code" easier than the "01 - since the computer is looking for an improvement between the sensors to know that the CAT is working....

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you think the '02 should work fine?

I was kinda thinking since there is basically less cat between sensors that number might be too low between the two and might throw a DTC.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
cats between tranny's are the same (or atleast my 04 auto had the same one as my 00 5 speed)

i would like a picture for future reference, but i really still think the double cats off a different engine.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both are ZETEC

'01 You can see the wire for the downstream after the cat

'02 Bung for the downstream in the middle of the cat

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If you have a reason to think the '01 Cat is NFG, go ahead & try the '02!

It SHOULD work OK, since the computer is just looking for a difference between the two readings to see if the cat is working....

(see multiple threads in performance sections on "tricking" the system when installing headers....)

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm putting a motor out of an 02 into an 01. Dont really feel like changing them and breaking studs. There is all ready a broken stud on the 01. I guess I'll just see how it runs when it goes in. The 02 has a third of the miles on it so.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It could be a CA thing not sure though. Now that I am thinking about it though with this cat having a third of the miles as what came out with my old motor and how fouled up and dirty the '01 is from so much coolant burning off in it and all the misfiring caused by the blown head gasket this one shouldnt be a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts