Focus Fanatics Forum banner

01 Volkswagen Beetle trouble

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  deadend9009 
#1 ·
If its in the wrong place..please move..

My wife has an 01 Bug. Its really been a thorn in my side for ever. A little history about the car.

Spring of 08 - Check engine light comes on. I get it checked at Autozone. It says it was a ECU problem. Ok thats fine. Take to a VW dealer. Battery is dying. Change it..problem solved. Running rough...goes away after the battery is changed. Vaccum hose also fixed

Runs fine for 1.5 years

Fall of 10- Check engine comes back. The car still runs fine. A little smoky on start. I ignore the light cause it goes off by itself and plus VW charges to check the light.

Spring of 10- wife HAS to drive to work through deep water. She gets the MAF wet. The car shuts down. I finally get home by babing it (running sluggish). I find out that the airfilter is soaked and the box had water in it [:(!][facepalm]. I let it dry over night and take it to get an oil change. The check engine light is on...

Fall-11
The light is still on. This is where it gets intresting. She said that its been running really rough on start up. I get in it to move it. It DIES in GEAR. Starts right up. Its not burning excessive gas or oil. I would like to know what would cause it to just die and stumble out of the blue? Im thinking that its the battery again..but I dont know..

BTW: I have a free check engine coupon that I will use and I will report the trouble codes..if any..

ps..sorry for the long post..any help is appreciated

See less See more
#3 ·
go with wills suggestions first, he's the VW Guy pretty much.

I was thinking maybe the MAF got screwed in the process. and why not take it to a parts store to have them scan it? you did once.

#6 ·
I understand the dirty throttle body. Why would it just now be doing that to the car?
When enough carbon builds up, it causes the valve to stick. or it could be the built in throttle position sensor is shorted out and the correct angle needed is now off.

its just my hunch. may not be this.

#5 ·
No. Any OBDII reader will read the codes. That is to say Autozone/O'Reilly's can scan the codes for free.

But driving a year with a check engine light on and no clue what it's for probably wasn't the best idea. A pending code and actual problem can manifest into other problems quite easily, depending on the code.
Get it read and post back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.