Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, to start i need to state that i'm not a focus person at all. I like the cars and they're a riot to drive with a few bolt ons but i'm a RWD junkie.

On to the point, my brother loves his focus but is as i like to call it "cartarted" as in he doesn't even know how to change a flat, hence how he dropped a valve and K.O.'d a piston (i'll post some pics when i get my camera working, it's a good one too). I've been looking to swap the SPI for an SPI and re-use the auto tranny but getting ahold of one seems to be a right pain so i've looked into swapping a cheaper Zetec motor into in but i'm just not sure about the transmission and whether i'll need a zetec tranny or if the SPI auto will bolt up (he can't drive a stick and refuses to learn for some reason)

Basically i need to know if i need an auto zetec tranny, wiring harness, and ECU to make the swap happen.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try a little more effort before posting, ok?

[smackbum] Have you tried searching the forum, whatsoever? There is about 50 threads all on spi to zetec swaps. You need at least a transmission, harness, and pcm. The zetec will not bolt up to a IB5 automatic trans found on the SPI engines. You need a 4F27E automatic trans for the zetec.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey, raycoffman, I've searched and no thread exsist except the ones I made on the ability to use spi tranny behind a zetec, I have compared them both and have come to the conclusion tha they will interchange. the spi tranny I checked was listed as a 4F27E I am soon to be installing in my wagon that I swaped to zetec, also the swap needs afew more items to be complete like all accesories on the motor like alternator power steering pump and pressure line, a/c comp and lines to first union in pass wheelwell, wiring harness, ecu w/ proper transponder key, cooling lines are also different. there are several good threads on this swap, I just had trouble finding info on using spi tranny on zetec

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
if the auto will work than why cant i use a spi clutch pad and a zetec pressure plate isent that the only thing diffrent?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry to revive threads but i am looking into getting a whole zx2 that runs for $200. I have a 2003 lx with a 5speed. Will this engine out of the zx2 with an automatic bolt to the tranny? I know that I would need to change, the flywheel, and clutch kit if so.

Thanks
Brandon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.