Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, to start i need to state that i'm not a focus person at all. I like the cars and they're a riot to drive with a few bolt ons but i'm a RWD junkie.

On to the point, my brother loves his focus but is as i like to call it "cartarted" as in he doesn't even know how to change a flat, hence how he dropped a valve and K.O.'d a piston (i'll post some pics when i get my camera working, it's a good one too). I've been looking to swap the SPI for an SPI and re-use the auto tranny but getting ahold of one seems to be a right pain so i've looked into swapping a cheaper Zetec motor into in but i'm just not sure about the transmission and whether i'll need a zetec tranny or if the SPI auto will bolt up (he can't drive a stick and refuses to learn for some reason)

Basically i need to know if i need an auto zetec tranny, wiring harness, and ECU to make the swap happen.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try a little more effort before posting, ok?

[smackbum] Have you tried searching the forum, whatsoever? There is about 50 threads all on spi to zetec swaps. You need at least a transmission, harness, and pcm. The zetec will not bolt up to a IB5 automatic trans found on the SPI engines. You need a 4F27E automatic trans for the zetec.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey, raycoffman, I've searched and no thread exsist except the ones I made on the ability to use spi tranny behind a zetec, I have compared them both and have come to the conclusion tha they will interchange. the spi tranny I checked was listed as a 4F27E I am soon to be installing in my wagon that I swaped to zetec, also the swap needs afew more items to be complete like all accesories on the motor like alternator power steering pump and pressure line, a/c comp and lines to first union in pass wheelwell, wiring harness, ecu w/ proper transponder key, cooling lines are also different. there are several good threads on this swap, I just had trouble finding info on using spi tranny on zetec

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
The zetec and spi use the same exact automatic transmission, so it should bolt right up.
Only the manual transmissions differ between the two engines.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The zetec and spi use the same exact automatic transmission, so it should bolt right up.
Only the manual transmissions differ between the two engines.
Yeah, RayCoffman!

Didn't you search?

Geez...[boxface]

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
if the auto will work than why cant i use a spi clutch pad and a zetec pressure plate isent that the only thing diffrent?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry to revive threads but i am looking into getting a whole zx2 that runs for $200. I have a 2003 lx with a 5speed. Will this engine out of the zx2 with an automatic bolt to the tranny? I know that I would need to change, the flywheel, and clutch kit if so.

Thanks
Brandon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts