Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. I read and searched. And read more. And tried almost everything. Time to ask...

My daily driver is 01 SE Wagon has 204 k. About year ago, I replaced rear struts due to knock. It made things better, but not completely.
So over course of lat year (I did probably 22k miles within last year)
I replaced both side rear:
- end links
- lower control arm
- upper control arm
- lateral arm (forward lower control arm)
- trailing arm bushings
- brake shoes, drums and wheel bearings

Knock is still there. It's pretty loud. Sounds similar as front ball joints before I replaced them.
It happens more at lower speeds, when running over short bumps.

At some point last summer I took the struts off and went for a short ride. No knock. Put them back. Knock. It all points to struts, but they were brand new. And knock was there immediately after installing them.

I also just noticed, that if I try to push top of the tire inwards, I can feel play and hear knock. Car is sitting on its wheels.
Almost like bearing or control arm has play in it. They were both replaced, and tight. Knock was still there at that time.
Tomorrow I'll lift rear of car and check bearing and control arms.

So, anyone has ideas?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Not familiar with the top mount of Wagon Shocks, on hatches/sedans the top mounting can cause the noise mentioned - particularly if the noise is gone when they're removed.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tx, hadn't seen the setup for those.

Bolted up tight those wouldn't knock at all, gotta the tight enough to "pinch" that sleeve between the mounting plates.

The stick-through style used on the others can rattle when the rod contacts the sides of the hole, one member even made plastic sleeves for that years ago to improve on stock isolation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's tight "by the book". Meaning torqued to spec. So it should be pinched. I think I need to do more troubleshooting with second person so I can pinpoint source of noise from under the car.
I just confirmed that rocking tire up and down when car is jacked up can reproduce the noise. Sounds like it's coming from upper area of strut

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That's the upper arm attachment area as well, shock shouldn't be loaded at all by rocking the wheel - rubber mount at each end.

I assume you mean grabbing top & bottom to "rock" it, not lifting up & down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I mean lifting it up and down. Sorry. My bad.
When I grab top and bottom and rock it in and out its all tight.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It shouldn't move up & down by hand at all either, you'd be lifting that corner by the spring to move it.

All I can think from the description is that you should feel the top of the shock (mount) when moving the wheel to see if it moves at all (shouldn't).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts