Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car wasn't getting any power when pushing on gas. had a rotten egg smell.
so, ...
[wrenchin] replaced the catalytic converter. car has been sitting for about 2 weeks before i replaced the converter. all power is good. car will not turn over. tried jumping(thinking it may be low battery), did not work. all power is on, everything runs good. i have crank and all dash lights work. just no turnover.[:(!] ideas please....[???:)]
thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
car wasn't getting any power when pushing on gas. had a rotten egg smell.
so, ...
[wrenchin] replaced the catalytic converter. car has been sitting for about 2 weeks before i replaced the converter. all power is good. car will not turn over. tried jumping(thinking it may be low battery), did not work. all power is on, everything runs good. i have crank and all dash lights work. just no turnover.[:(!] ideas please....[???:)]
thanks
your post is confusing

cranking over and turning over are both the same thing....they both mean the car starter works and turns the engine over but the car will not Fire!.........

if your car does NOT turn over or does NOT crank then that means the starter is not working and you get nothing when you turn the key.

What is your car doing?

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
you have a few things to check.

In no particular order:

1. Pop out your spark plugs and check that you haven't hydrolocked.

2. get a volt meter and test the electrical going to the starter motor
- If you arent getting power to the starter motor, check all your fuses, and use your volt meter to trace the problem
- if you are getting power, and its not turning over, either your engine is seized, or your starter motor is bad.

3. Unplug the battery for about 5 minutes, this will reset the ECU, plug the battery back in and try again.

good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your post is confusing

cranking over and turning over are both the same thing....they both mean the car starter works and turns the engine over but the car will not Fire!.........

if your car does NOT turn over or does NOT crank then that means the starter is not working and you get nothing when you turn the key.

What is your car doing?
theres power. it turns over. just will not start. sorry.

·
Registered
94 Posts
First thing is to check for spark at the plugs. Could be anything from no fuel to spark so without isolating further, it's a wild guess. If you have a code reader, you might check and see if any PENDING codes show.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pulled the plugs after i disconnected the battery. waited a few minutes. reconnected battery. left plugs out to check for "hydrolock". no water when cranking. i do not have a code reader. plugs have 2 different spacing. 1 & 3 are the same. 2 & 4 are the same. maybe need replaced?
cranking is the same. it cranks just will not finish the process & start.

·
Registered
228 Posts
check plug spark, when cranking..smells like fuel. no spark coming thru though the plugs.
your posts are hard to understand but I think you are saying that you have fuel and no spark..did you check all the plugs/wires for spark or just one?..is there fuel on the plugs?...so the question is what would cause no spark but fuel?......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your posts are hard to understand but I think you are saying that you have fuel and no spark..did you check all the plugs/wires for spark or just one?.....so the question is what would cause no spark but fuel?......
you have it correct. fuel but no spark. checked the last one in the sequence. no spark. and your question is mine also.....?

·
Registered
228 Posts
you have it correct. fuel but no spark. checked the last one in the sequence. no spark. and your question is mine also.....?
coil-packs are always a suspect. are there any fuses or relays that could be bad that would produce a crank with fuel and no spark?..........oh and what engine do you have?...............YOU REALLY SHOULD TRY AND CREATE A SIGNATURE/PROFILE THAT INCLUDES AS MANY DETAILS ABOUT YOUR VEHICLE AS POSSIBLE....YOU CAN DO THAT THROUGH THE CONTROL PANEL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
figured it out...

so...i know it's been a while since i started this post. thought it might help to let you know how it finished.

So, replaced the Catalytic..which was needed.
Had issue of hesitation while in gear and not getting muck/any power.
Replaced plugs and wires.
Same issue.
Replaced Mass Air sensor(thats also what was reading on code machine)
Same issue.
Messed with stuff....ended up having it towed to a friends garage. Put it on code machine..was reading...mass air flow sensor. (replaced)--yes it was good.
Buddy looked at the plug that goes into the mass air flow sensor--there are prongs on there tat plug into the sensor. ! of them was bet/broken off. Causing a sometimes spark...sometimes no spark since that wire from that goes to the ignition coil. Replaced plug...Yaa...it runs again.
Something small to think about when checking these things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts