Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the focus fanatics,
I’ve got a 2001 Ford Focus SE SVT, and as of yesterday morning, my car has been running just fine. Yesterday when I went out to warm up my car, it runs really rough if I don’t let it warm up for a few mins before I drive, so started it up, went to get out to get my stuff and I noticed a burning oil smell, and immediately shut off my car, popped the hood and when I opened the hood, I noticed smoke from what it looked like it was coming from under my valve cover. So I’m no mechanic, but my grandpa was and as a little girl I loved watching and helping my grandpa, so I learned a thing or two and now I love working on cars when I can. So I grabbed my tools and decided to take off the heat shield, hoping I’d be able to get a better look. Started the car up and looked all around and shut it off and noticed some oil was burning off the manifold. So I let the car run for a bit and the smoke stopped. I figured I spilled some oil when I added some. That night I was up all night, something just didn’t sit right with me, so I went back out with my flash light and noticed some oil spots, I took a screwdriver and a rag and cleaned up as much of the oil as I could, thinking if I had a leak I’d be able to see the new oil. That morning, sure enough, I noticed a little bit of fresh oil. I took a photo and attached it, it’s the best I could get, I circled where the new oil was coming from. It’s not gushing out, and I haven’t noticed it dripping a lot so far, but it’s seeping out from that spot.
Now I have no idea what is right there, or what that is, I think it’s inbetwren the cylinder head and head gasket? Maybe idk, I’m hoping I don’t have a blown or bad head gasket. I read online a lot of people saying to replace the valve gasket, which I might do myself, seems easy enough, but not sure if it’s leakig from there and dripping down to that spot.
Please, any advice or help will be very much appreciated. The car seems to be running just fine, it does feel alittle off, idk how to explain it, I have plenty of oil, and ya not dripping under my car. I don’t know if I should not drive it, or what I should do.

Thanks for reading and stuff. :)

Attachments

·
w/ my magic bag
29,394 Posts
Welcome to FF.....It very well could be a cam cover gasket allowing the oil from the cams whipping the oil around inside the cam cover. Just mentioning your car isn't a svt as those were '02-'04 & had special motors w/ 6spd trans & other special features.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks about the SVT. ��
But you all think it’s a cam shaft gasket?? And that’s pretty easy thing to do, as in I could do that myself, and not completely **** it all up?? I’m pretty good with doing things myself, especially if I can find a video online or some detailed how to... I’ll look online and see how expensive they are and a how to vid. Since I’m going under the hood and replacing this cam gasket, would it be beneficial to go ahead and get a new valve gasket and replace them both while I’m in there??

·
w/ my magic bag
29,394 Posts
Oh just kiddding!! The cam gasket and valve gasket are the same. �� let’s forget I didn’t know that!!!
Basically motors w/ ohc's have cam covers while motors w/ ohv, such as Hemi's/ Chevy LS motors have valve covers as thats what you see 1st when you remove the cover. btw when was the last time the plugs were changed? Great time to do it as well as the plug wires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts