Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the midst of rebuilding an '03 ZETEC engine for my '01 4WD 5Spd Mazda Tribute. The original ZETEC is a bit tired and starting to consume oil. I picked up a low KM '03 for $200 and started this build.

Intake, Engine and Exhaust;

Custom 2.5" intake with 6" velocity stack and K&N Filter

'03 GSXR-1000 Throttles (46mm) w/GSXR Air box

Stg 2 Comp Cams / 06/12/14 Update: Now Stg 3 Comp Cams

Ported and polished '03 head

Intake

Exhaust

+1mm Oversized intake and exhaust valves

86mm Bore w/11:1 compression on stock rods,
put together at a local shop in Sussex.

4 - 1 long tube header with full 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust w/cat delete

Fuel, Ignition & EMS

255lph Fuel pump upgrade w/Mechanical returnless pump & housing

'08 Honda Accord COP ignition setup

MegaSquirt III engine management system

Also running a dual stage fuel injection system
250cc Primary injectors in stock location
240cc Secondary injectors located in throttle body throats (stock GSXR location)

Transmission

Fidanza LW flywheel w/Centerforce dual friction clutch kit

How she sits right now....

Just waiting for a few small parts and time off work to drop her into place!

More to come!

·
Registered
897 Posts
You've just nearly done my dream build [thumb]

curious to see were your dino figures sit!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You've just nearly done my dream build [thumb]

curious to see were your dino figures sit!
I'm not sure if this will hit the dyno right away. I'm going to tune it on the street for now and see where I stand for dyno availability. MegaSquirt is kind of a black art around here. I think there might be a dyno few KM out of town that I might rent in order to do a couple WOT runs!

Very cool!
Thanks

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Good choice on the clutch.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

I did a lot of research into clutch kits and this seemed to be one that was consistently on top. I'm also anxious to see what this thing will be putting down. A dyno tune/engine break-in session is in the works. Have to wait and see!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would love to see what you put down, something ive been reading up on and looks very good.

Almost like a peice of art.

·
Registered
620 Posts

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
These fancy smanchy clutches still befuddle me. I'm on a stock clutch and have zero slip issues.
I just don't see why anyone with less power needs a 'performance' clutch.

But this is one car I would go with a heavier clutch. It's going to be peaky and a PITA to street already. May as well go with a clutch that matches. And the added weight makes a difference vs a Focus.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for your honesty it is greatly appreciated. I always look forward to hearing from people who have put time into their builds. Cheers!

I'll be completely honest with you. The final determining factors for the purchase of this unit were based on a few good street reviews and the price. I purchased this kit for $15 less than the Ford/Motocraft OE replacement kit price from an online dealer. Local dealership wanted $80 more than the Centerforce kit (including shipping).

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I have 100k mi on the Center Force clutch in my other focus and love it. Just make sure and follow the break in procedure. I liked it so much I had one sitting on the shelf waiting to go with a light weight flywheel I have sitting on the shelf for when I did the clutch again. Ended up trading for parts to get my SVT up and running. I will buy another one lol

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just ordered some more parts for the build. A set of stg3 Comp Cams, cam gears, UDP, Crankcase Vent Oil Separator PCV Delete from CFM and a power steering delete bracket from bostig.com.

Finally finished porting the cylinder head and it is going for final machining this week. Hope to have it back sometime just after Christmas. That way I can put this thing back on the road in time for some fun in the snow!

Next on the to-do-list is the engine wire harness..... oh how I love wiring!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mr. Balls to the walls is at it again.

What does your engine look like now?
It is just the short block on an engine stand with a bunch of boxes of parts under it..... It's my garage version of a Christmas tree! [hihi]

Once I get the head back from the machine shop it will come together rather quickly!

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Haha throw some lights on it, a couple bowties on the parts and put a few pics up. I think itd look fairly epic!

I don't see you around the forum as much, stop by for us :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I may just do that!

Oh I have been around.... lurking in the background! [paranoid]

1 - 20 of 50 Posts