Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2000 ford focus for about a little over a month or so now, and very recently I have noticed while I am driving, randomly (I could either have just started, or have been driving for 30+ minutes, etc) that it will, out of nowhere rev as if I was in neutral and hitting the gas pedal. But I am in drive. I tried to google this but am not finding anything. Any suggestions as to what it may be, or what I should do?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
What engine, not that it could matter but it is helpful to know.

So im guessing it is while you are getting up to speed, it kicks out into nuetral so to say, you let off the gas, it hangs in nuetral for about oh, 5 seconds say, and then it goes back into drive and you go on your merry way?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What engine, not that it could matter but it is helpful to know.

So im guessing it is while you are getting up to speed, it kicks out into nuetral so to say, you let off the gas, it hangs in nuetral for about oh, 5 seconds say, and then it goes back into drive and you go on your merry way?

Engine is (from O'reilly and ford site) SE -- L4 - 2.0L vin P 121ci 1989cc - MFI GAS SOHC

And yes, usually its when I am trying to get up to speed and it will do that, sometimes it is when I am driving, that is rare though compared to getting up to speed.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
I have the SPI as well.

As to what the problem is I don't know. It did it to me once one cold morning but that was it. So I didn't think much of it.

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
You DO have to keep fluid in them, low fluid level can easily do that.

By the way, you have the SPI engined version which commonly fails the engine to blow up out of nowhere. See that section on this site and be warned. It may break tomorrow or it may last for a while, previously repaired ones often don't last long but depends on the proficiency of the person doing the work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts