Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the Massive Omni Kit allows you to run 00-05 struts in an 06+ knuckle, but is there an easy way to run 00-05 springs on an 06+ strut?

I have previously adapted Bilstein inserts from an A2 Golf to my Focus, but since they need replacing and the 06+ has a bolt in application, that seems like a waste of effort at this point. However, I want to run H&R race springs which are not available for the 06+ struts. Since I cannot make the base of the Bilstein smaller or safely make the 00-05/SVT knuckle hole for the strut larger, I have to work on getting the struts to accept those springs.

I know ultimately where there's a welder, there's a way, but I am hoping to avoid welding to ≈$500 worth of new struts if possible.

FYI, I did a search, but feel free to tell me that I suck if that is the case.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Not only is the knuckle different on 06+ cars but so is the front spring seat on the strut and the spring design. You cannot use a 00-05 front spring on a 06+ car as it will not fit in the spring seat (and an 06 spring will not fit in the 00-05 struts spring seat).

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not only is the knuckle different on 06+ cars but so is the front spring seat on the strut and the spring design. You cannot use a 00-05 front spring on a 06+ car as it will not fit in the spring seat (and an 06 spring will not fit in the 00-05 struts spring seat).
I grasp that; I am asking if someone has figured out a way around the problem similar to the Massive Omni Kit allowing early struts in late knuckles.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The Omni kit is just basically a bushing/spacer to fill in the space around the smaller base of the 00-05 strut and the 06 knuckle. I guessing anyone with basic machining skills and some equipment could make one.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Omni kit is just basically a bushing/spacer to fill in the space around the smaller base of the 00-05 strut and the 06 knuckle. I guessing anyone with basic machining skills and some equipment could make one.
Yes, again, I grasp that, but I have 06+ knuckles and plan to purchase 06+ struts, so that isn't really important to me.

My guess is that since I haven't found it via a search and no one has provided the information, there is no way for an 00-05 spring to go onto a 06+ strut. I understand that my request is not the usual one as the strut availability for the 00-05 is better and with the Omni Kit you can kill two birds (struts and springs) with one stone.

Guess it is welder time.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
yeah I dont think youll ever see the H&R race springs come out for the 06-07 suspension. havent heard of anyone attempting to do what you want/need to do either

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I dont think youll ever see the H&R race springs come out for the 06-07 suspension. havent heard of anyone attempting to do what you want/need to do either
Agreed. Pretty sure that the H&R Race Springs would be available for the 06-07 by now if there were ever going to be.

I really don't want to resort to coil overs if I can help it.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Fixed platform give's you damper choice's!

Agreed. Pretty sure that the H&R Race Springs would be available for the 06-07 by now if there were ever going to be.

I really don't want to resort to coil overs if I can help it.
Fixed platform gives you more choice's of Damper's. I was going the coilover route too & decided to go w/ the fixed platform instead. I do like H&R's sport cup kit. Been to H&R's warehouse in Bellingham.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts