Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This issue has been mentioned before...but I recently bought an 03 Ford FSM and found that in 03 Ford recommended that the t-belt be done when miles were above 90K or if the car is over 10 years old....

People have mentioned that 120K is OK on these belts.....

Started out as a poll...but it's not.....

What I'd like to know:

* how many miles do you have on your 00-04 Zetec with a still good t-belt?

* if you've replaced the t-belt...at what mileage did you have it done or do it?

* if you've had a t-belt fail...at what mileage did this happen? Any engine damage?

The more responses....the better the info?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just purchased my 01 with 117,000 miles. So I'm going to assume it was never replaced and replace it very soon. I'll repost with it's conditions and pictures if I feel it was the original. I have a DOHC SE Wagon.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm going to replace mine (and parents car too) when they hit 100,000 whether they need it or not........... (and the rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders at 100k whether they need or not too)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 136000 on mine and it just went out. But it was my fault i broke part of the cover and a piece of the plastic found its way in between the belt and crankshaft gear so I lost the timing and the car stoped running. But until the the car ran fine.

·
Banned
589 Posts
I replaced the belt on my 2000 in 2009, so I went 9 years and about 122,000 miles on my first belt, and it didn't look to bad when I took it off, no missing teeth. I'm at 175,000 now and plan on changing the belt again around 225,000.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I did mine at 187 000 km, so about 110k miles and it looked just fine, all the bearings were smooth. I replaced them all anyways, along with the water pump (which looked great).

Very easy to do on these cars, not worth putting off!

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
I have 95K on the car. My car is a 2001 ZX3. I will be changing the timing belt soon!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I have 39K on mine wait oh yea I dont have one, timing chains ftw, haha, sorry I had to.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I had the timing belt break at just over 210000 miles. There was no damage done to the engine. I just changed it and I was on my way the next day

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I did mine at about 210,000. Couldnt tell you when it was done the first time. Motor I'm working on right now has 87,000 but I'm doing it for the hell of it since the motor is out of a car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
One car I replaced the t-belt at 80k, belt looked fine. The other car has 120k and still on original belt(car purchased used and no history)? Both cars are 2002 ZX3's with zetec motors.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Replaced mine at 115k and it looked pretty good. However, one of the idler bearings was way loose. glad i changed it when i did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts