Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know what could be expected 0-60 to be with different SVTF FI apps. Procharger, Powerworks, JRSC, Vortech, Turbo... If you've got FI, I'm interested. I realize the driver matters so I guess I'm just looking for personal experiences.

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Don't expect much response here, not many people have the timing equipment of major magazines, and 0-60s are quite relative anyways. What does it matter?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to go FI but I know that I don't have any intentions of taking it to the track (road or strip). What I'm looking for is something that I can have a little fun with around town, on ramps, country roads, etc... (all responsibly, of course). I figured the best way to compare "real world" performance would be 0-60 times. If my logic is flawed, please correct me.

I guess the major concern here is that I'd spend $$$$ and not get what I was hoping for. What am I hoping for, you ask? I'm not out to build a 300fwhp monster. Like I said, just something to have fun with, but something that justifies the cost. I'm assuming (yikes) that I'm not the only one in this boat...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
i dont know how true this is but someone told me on the focus if you get about 220-230 to the wheels you can run with gtos and vettes. maybe not beat them but if you know what your doing. he says he does. u might be able to use that to make your descision. im going custom turb right now and i hope to be putting down about 250 whp so maybe ill be able to let you know soon enough.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^^

Run with Vettes and GTOs with 230 to the wheels?! That can't possibly be true, can it? I'm aware SVTF weighs in at about 2750, Vette around 3250 and the GTO a robust 3700+. But these cars can get to 60 in around 5 seconds, give or take a few tenths. I know, I know, power to weight isn't that far off...

So mid to high 5's is realistic with 230 to the wheels?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
there are people like Tom who are running 12's in his boosted focus. that'll match up to any gto or vette. its all a matter of how much money you are willing to spend on the car. you can compete with anything.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
From what I've gathered, a JRSC will put an SVT to around 200whp with proper tuning, 220ish with the BBK, and its good for something in the 14's in the 1/4 mile drag.

Real-world performance is a tricky thing to meter. A Lancer Evo has staggering real-world performance, but if you look at the whp after some STAGGERING parasitic loss, a Focus would match power:weight ratios at something like 215whp (I did the math once, cant remember the exact number), which is perfectly achievable. But its still not going to run the same 0-60 or 1/4 times as an Evo because of the drivetrain differences, not even close.

Personally, I'm content with my tuned, minor bolt-on SVT, its probably spinning a crazy 150-155whp, havent had it dyno'd. I'm still not a good enough driver to use the car at 100%, and even if I were a stock SVT can only be wrung out so far within the limits of the law. If I ever did go FI tho, I'd probably rock a JRSC BBK, an extra 50whp would give me all the flexibility I'd ever need, and mid 14's in the 1/4 are nothing to sneeze at. Certainly keeps up with Joey in the 1995 Civic EX, and could probably run with a GTO on the highway.

*shrug*

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
My JRSC+BBK is more than enough for me. Butt dyno shows around 215-220whp and probably 0-60 in the low 6 sec possibly high 5 sec range. For a more than reliable boosted application im very content.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, these are great responses. I really appreciate it. Everyone else, feel free to chime in...

·
Registered
666 Posts
I read in an article by Josh Jacquot or Dave Coleman from Sport Compact Car about how we are being cheated by 0-60 times. A lot of car makers make the cars have gearing for 1st to top at 30 and 2nd to top at 60. Basically its all in the need for a "faster than you" 0-60 time and throws the better gearing to the wind. If you notice, our cars arent like that. We see ~42 in 1st and ~70 in 2nd. Longer gearing, worse 0-60 but for hitting corners and on a tight track, were set with 2nd gear. Other cars would be at the bottom of third while we are at the middle of 2nd - right in the powerband.

0-60 is dumb. Do you plan on being at a dead stop and going til you hit 60? Probably not. You should be concerned with other things. I look at 1/4 times vs. mph vs. 60' - that gives you an idea of wheelspin and top end potential. Take my car for instance - 2.1 60ft with a 13.6 @ 105ish. Tells you I have a LOT of top end. My car goes 60-140 in no time. 60-100 is a good test of power rather than 0-60.

But yeah, wont see too many responses....too many variables at stake. If I tried to blast and all out 0-60 Id throw traction to the wind and just romp it. Id rahter my 0-60 be a little higher in an effort to bite off the line.

If you are looking for a fast car - Turbo! Now that I've gone this route; I'd never ever consider a JRSC for my car like I did before.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Guys like Tom, me and Larry all run over 330whp thats why we bust on Vette's and GTO's. Your just not going to do it on 230whp... you may stay up with them but you're not gonna outrun them.

·
Registered
714 Posts
mike 1 said:
[B

0-60 is dumb. Do you plan on being at a dead stop and going til you hit 60? Probably not.. [/B]
Sorry but 0-60 is NOT dumb...not all freeways are like 95....I have to do this daily on the 110 which was built in 1930. There are no acceleration lanes. It is a dead stop into 55mph traffic and on a curve at that.
It is a VERY relevant metric for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again to all those who have posted. The information/opinions are greatly appreciated by novices like me.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Really the 0 to 60 question is "sorta" a loaded question...

Once you start adding power ( Forced Induction for example) you start having traction problems and clutch problems.. especially once you get past the 240whp mark.

Now if you asked a question like... " how is the passing times when on open road" then you would be VERY happy with the replies. say the 35 to 70 times are greatly reduced... by several seconds.

Personally I have a hard time with traction in the lower gears( 1, 2 and sometimes 3rd) and thats with a CM4 and a Quaife.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by 03OrangeSVT
Now if you asked a question like... " how is the passing times when on open road" then you would be VERY happy with the replies. say the 35 to 70 times are greatly reduced... by several seconds.

You're right on that count. After giving some thought about driving habits over the last couple of days, blasts from 30 to 75/80 seems about where I would linger most of the time. I should have asked that instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts