Looking for info on a few things - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2019, 04:36 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 412305
What I Drive: 2003 Focus 2.0 Zetec

Points 110, Level 2
Points: 110, Level: 2 Points: 110, Level: 2 Points: 110, Level: 2
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 1 Ryujo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looking for info on a few things

Bare with me please. I'm not an experienced car guy. I'm trying to learn a bit and do some very basic modifications, but I'm still very much uninformed on most of what's going on with my car so I'm not delving in too much, and might need alot explained.

Okay, anyway!

So I have an 03 Focus. 5dr hatch, 2.0 litre Zetec. Everything is stock except the air filter. I've kept the airbox, but put in a K&N reusable filter.

Ive ordered an SVT airbox and snorkel, which I'm a little excited about because the SVT never made it here so my car will be a little bit special to all the other ones around. My understanding is it goes clean on, but I read that you can get a little bit more engine noise by taking off this resonator, and feeding a tube down behind the light. A HRW mod I believe it's called here. But all the information I can find on it is very old, and all the links and image urls are long since dead.

Is that still a reliable method of just a little more engine noise? Or have times changed since then and other methods have surfaced?

Speaking of noise, i'd like to get a muffler fitted to really improve the sound. I cant post links to a video I found of what I'm aiming for, but I'd like a more higher pitched whiny sound than a deeper rumbling sound. I know Magnaflow does universal exhausts that they say will fit my car, but I've asked around the local muffler shops and they either dont reply, or say they cant do anything but are happy for me to bring in a muffler and they will fit it for me.

So what kind of exhausts will go straight on, and will offer the kind of sound I'd like without totally breaking the bank? And I believe people remove this 'lunchbox' and take the exhaust straight from the muffler to the end of the car. Is that right? Would they need to cut the bumper or do they just form the tubing to the car?

I apologize for these likely obvious questions. I did do some searching for answers before deciding to post, but my situation is a little unique in that while all kinds of people are here, most of the advice seems to revolve around NA cars, and I am simply not in the right area to just drive down the road and have someone look at my car and have it done in an hour. The stores near me dont really get the parts I need so I need to find and shop on my own then have them fit them so i need to get it right the first time or it's expensive return fees and lots of trouble.

Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
Thats What She Said

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 MB ZX3, 2004 SY SVT ZX5

Points 20,529, Level 90
Points: 20,529, Level: 90 Points: 20,529, Level: 90 Points: 20,529, Level: 90
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 23 Magus2727 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Just run with the air box the way it was designed. Yes you can take the snorkel off (likely can sell if back to other people and most people like to have that bit. It will be all custom, your just looking at trying to get more engine noise? personally I would let the exhaust do that. or go with a full true cold air intake that routs the piping down front and low (have to watch for standing water).

The lunch box is the 12" x 12" x 6" square(ish) right at the tail pipe. most people will cut it and then just use flexible exhaust piping to route it back. I would get an exhaust. How hard is it to get things shipped into Australia? Trubendz is out of Florida and has bolt up kits. shipping might kill you though.

I have Borla and I have Magnaflow. I like both for different reasons. Both has a large Magnaflow resonator though because the Foci like to drone around 3k RPM to 4k RPM which is right at your freeway speeds. The resonator fixes this but does not impact performance much. Its a 4 cly, you are never going to get the low deep rumble. FSwerks might be able to ship also (out of California) with their stealth or race exhaust. Likely the best thing is to just get a muffler that is the right size and take it to an exhaust shop and have them custom bend you something. the cost in shipping a whole system is going to have be as much as the exhaust it self.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 365994
What I Drive: 2003 Focus Ghia Edition Hatchback

Points 248, Level 4
Points: 248, Level: 4 Points: 248, Level: 4 Points: 248, Level: 4
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 1 radius6 Good Standing Member
I think the SVT airbox has a 3" MAF tube though? how are you gonna use the smaller tube you have?
If you get the SVT MAF tube and sensor you should definitely get a tune.

I'm looking for an exhaust myself, something not ricey. Not fond of overly loud.
Something like this maybe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #4
Thats What She Said

Points 20,529, Level 90
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
The MAF is different sized but attachment point is the same. So you can just bolt up the new air box with the larger snorkel and larger resonator opening.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 365994
What I Drive: 2003 Focus Ghia Edition Hatchback

Points 248, Level 4
Points: 248, Level: 4 Points: 248, Level: 4 Points: 248, Level: 4
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 1 radius6 Good Standing Member
Alright, thanks for the info
Old 04-29-2019, 05:14 AM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 110, Level 2
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 18%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
Just run with the air box the way it was designed. Yes you can take the snorkel off (likely can sell if back to other people and most people like to have that bit. It will be all custom, your just looking at trying to get more engine noise? personally I would let the exhaust do that. or go with a full true cold air intake that routs the piping down front and low (have to watch for standing water).
Fair enough, maybe I'll do that then. I took the resonator off my stock box and it didnt sound a whole lot different to my ears. I mean it was, but not enough for me to say "Oh well that's impressive."

I'll just leave it on. Probably better off as you say, and let the exhaust do the heavy lifting for sound.

Quote:
The lunch box is the 12" x 12" x 6" square(ish) right at the tail pipe. most people will cut it and then just use flexible exhaust piping to route it back. I would get an exhaust. How hard is it to get things shipped into Australia? Trubendz is out of Florida and has bolt up kits. shipping might kill you though.
It's not so much difficult to get things shipped here. It's that it's a total hassle to ship them back if something is wrong. Which could happen quite easily.

Case in point. I ordered something (not car related) from China. 15 dollars shipping from China > Australia.

They sent me the completely wrong thing. To send the exact same parcel back, 80 dollars at it's cheapest.

Quote:
I have Borla and I have Magnaflow. I like both for different reasons. Both has a large Magnaflow resonator though because the Foci like to drone around 3k RPM to 4k RPM which is right at your freeway speeds. The resonator fixes this but does not impact performance much. Its a 4 cly, you are never going to get the low deep rumble. FSwerks might be able to ship also (out of California) with their stealth or race exhaust. Likely the best thing is to just get a muffler that is the right size and take it to an exhaust shop and have them custom bend you something. the cost in shipping a whole system is going to have be as much as the exhaust it self.
Alright that's good news. I really didnt want a rumble. Maybe I'm just difficult to please, I just dont think it suits smaller cars. My brother's Commodore, sure. It looks like a car that should have that sound. That's just my opinion.

I contacted Magnaflow AU, which has a Facebook group, to ask what they have in stock in terms of Universal Mufflers. They told me they carry alot of them, but not knowing specifics cant really help me. So I dont suppose I could hassle for some part numbers?

Ive been using the Magnaflow part finder on their site. I can get a list of mufflers they sell that will fit, but I'll need to take what I want to the AU MF, and hope they have it.

From some basic googling, which lead me back to this site naturally, the stock exhaust tubing is 2 and a half inches? Is that right? But I read it also fluctuates in size. If my intention was to replace the middle muffler, and run pipe to the rear bumper, is that a 2 and a half inch section of pipe that runs into the muffler?

Appreciate all the help so far. If I could just go to the local people and grab some parts I would, but my closest performance shop doesnt do custom work in store any more so it could take several days to measure it, find the parts, fit them, send it back, then wait for me to pick it up. I just cant afford to lose my car that long.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:04 AM   #7
Thats What She Said

Points 20,529, Level 90
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Assuming same as US spec, Zetec exhaust was some odd size just a hiar under 2" IIRC . Someting like 1.95" or something.

Trubendz makes mandrel bent systems that hook up and have great customer service. So you can talk to a physical person while making the sale.

Depending on how far you want to go: Your best bet will be to go on the for sale section and perhaps get a SVT hearder (or a ST170 header from a Euro Spec) there are a few sticky threads on what all is needed. Need the CAT and some other parts.

I will see if I can find any part numbers. At the least I can get some measurements and pictures and you should be able to figure out what Magnaflow currently makes and would be the "same".

Do they have junk yards in AU? Can always get a old exhaust off another Foci to drop off at the shop and they should be able to use the refernce exhaust as a model.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:58 AM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 110, Level 2
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 18%
Quote:
Assuming same as US spec, Zetec exhaust was some odd size just a hiar under 2" IIRC . Someting like 1.95" or something.
That makes things irritating. The smallest Magnaflows that their site says will fit is 2.25 inches.

Quote:
Trubendz makes mandrel bent systems that hook up and have great customer service. So you can talk to a physical person while making the sale.

Depending on how far you want to go: Your best bet will be to go on the for sale section and perhaps get a SVT hearder (or a ST170 header from a Euro Spec) there are a few sticky threads on what all is needed. Need the CAT and some other parts.
I've sent Trubendz a FB message, just requesting some basic info. Really, I could end up spending several hundred dollars on one of their kits, and still manage to cost less than just putting a muffler on here. I appreciate that it can be done at home.

I'm not sure how far I want to go with it. I was going to go with a muffler just because it gets me what I want and is cost effective. One thing I'm also concerned with is emissions. If I'm buying parts here, supplised from here, I know theyre going to meet the rules laid out. I'm a bit more cautious buying from a different country.

Quote:
Do they have junk yards in AU? Can always get a old exhaust off another Foci to drop off at the shop and they should be able to use the refernce exhaust as a model.
Yeah they do, though Focuses show up relatively rarely. That's an alright idea though, i might see what I can do. I'd only need a small section of it.

One thing Ive thought about, with regards to my SVT snorkel. My Focus has a cut out on the right side of the grille, and a small section of moulded plastic covers the gap between the grille and the end of the stock snorkel, and takes the air from the grille and directs it into the snorkel. I believe the NA Focus doesnt have this.

Any thoughts on this? I'm considering either cutting off the gap cover, and letting it take in air the same way the NA does. Or, making a larger cover out of heat resistent rubber or some such thing that I can easily shape to keep the air being taken from the grille, but filtering into the much larger snorkel.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #9
Thats What She Said

Points 20,529, Level 90
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
I think I know what you are saying for the snorkle. That helps with your "cold air" force so would be better to try to keep it.

Do some custom work.

You want larger exhaust if your going to the effort of getting a new muffler. if you want to just hack the stock exhaust then you can get couplers that go up in size and then drop in size. so if you want the stock ehxaust its possible.

not sure what the laws are in AU but the exhaust would not impact any emissions it would only be noise. and if done right will not be that loud. I would think the same issue would be applied if you change the muffler.

Yea would be cheaper to do it in AU but you are having to deal with trying to find a shop get the exhaust work and the down time with it.

Best of luck.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:35 AM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 110, Level 2
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 18%
Quote:
I think I know what you are saying for the snorkle. That helps with your "cold air" force so would be better to try to keep it.

If this helps. But yeah that's likely what I will do. I'd like to keep it because, to my knowledge, it's actually quite efficient to have it. Might just take some dremelling to open the hole a little bigger. Possibly, I'll wait until the snorkel gets here to see.

Quote:
You want larger exhaust if your going to the effort of getting a new muffler. if you want to just hack the stock exhaust then you can get couplers that go up in size and then drop in size. so if you want the stock ehxaust its possible.
I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting one of these trubendz one. They have shipped here before so my issues with things like emissions must be just be me assuming the worst. But, and it's a hefty 'but', their shipping estimate of 400 dollars ontop of the cost of the exhaust is a bit much for me.

That being said they are being very helpful, offering average box sizes and weights, and recommending I use freight shipping to save some money. I'll chase that up and send out some emails.

Quote:
Yea would be cheaper to do it in AU but you are having to deal with trying to find a shop get the exhaust work and the down time with it.
I dont really mind spending more money for the convenience of having something fit better. It's just alot of money.

Cheers for everything. I'll chase some leads up and see where it goes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in