need new brake pads - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2005, 03:14 PM   #1

Fan#: 11575
What I Drive: 2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0

Points 7,947, Level 59
Points: 7,947, Level: 59 Points: 7,947, Level: 59 Points: 7,947, Level: 59
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 34 SD_Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
need new brake pads

when I was getting my tires put on they said I needed new brake pads real soon. He got on his little computer and told me that the price of the pads plus labor would total $320. I thought that was pretty high. He said the ceramic brake pads would cost around $115 which sound too high for me and that they would bleed the brakes because it is recommended whenever you replace a part on them. Is this true?

Are ceramic pads this expensive? I know the pads you guys are always recommending are around half that price or a little more. This isn't the place I would go to get brakes done so I will get them inspected and a quote somewhere else pretty soon. Can you guys recommend any places that do good brake work? Thanks

SoCal Crew #21
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2005, 05:07 PM   #2

Fan#: 25282
FF Reputation: 1 Focus97333 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Depending on your car knowledge it is quite simply to replace brake pads, calipers, rotors, lines, yourself. Buy a $15 dollar generic manual and the basic tools (socket set, screwdrivers, combo wrenches) and you should be able to replace pads in a couple hours.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:57 PM   #3

Fan#: 5736
FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
that's too much. Do it yourself, the front calipers come off with 2 allen key bolts.

Pop off the lid of the brake resevoir and unbolt the wheels, undo the calipers, remove with care. Use zipties or some medium sized box to support the calipers while you are working on them, so the brake lines don't get ruptured...

btw, Hawk HP pads run for less than $115.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2005, 06:00 PM   #4

by removing the lid to the brake fluid resevoir, there system is no longer under pressure and you can Use the palm of your hand to push the Caliper piston back so you can replace the pads onto the brake rotor.

Just make sure someone is watching the engine bay to make sure the fluid doesn't overflow.

the rear brakes removal and replacement is found at www.focushacks.com
Old 10-30-2005, 07:43 PM   #5

Fan#: 1790
FF Reputation: 1 Zach16789 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
They were charging you way to much, if it is your first time doing the brakes the fronts shouldn't take you more than 2 hours, if that, get a set of pads and rotors swap em out, and the rears are more complicated, simple once you understand them but hard to get at first, take your time on those if you don't know drums to well other than that get a haynes or chilton manual and you are set to go.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:19 PM   #6

Points 7,947, Level 59
Level Up 99% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Just to clear things up I only need pads for the front. The brakes are not something I want to do myself because screwing things up can cost me my life. I have never even looked at the brakes before so it is not really an option. the Hawk HP pads seems like the way to go and it sounds like I can get those for ~$60. So my only questions are:

1) Is it necessary to bleed the brakes when changing the pads only?
2) Where would you recommend getting this done?
3) What would be a reasonable cost if I supplied the pads?

There price just sounds like B.S. $115 for brake pads so $205 for labor??? Way too much.
SoCal Crew #21
Old 10-30-2005, 10:32 PM   #7

SD_Focus: I would at least remove 1 wheel and just take a thorough inspection over the whole thing... It really is pretty simple.

I've changed my pads once so far, and they were replaced with just name-brand brakes, nothing special or aftermarket, and with 30,000 miles on them, they have more than 2/3rd of their life left.

and bleeding the brakes isn't necessary, since the car is still relatively new. I doubt you would notice any change. Is the pedal soft as the car sit's right now?
Old 10-30-2005, 10:57 PM   #8

Points 7,947, Level 59
Level Up 99% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "soft". I do know that the pedal needs to go down a little further to actually get it to brake like it did when it was new. The braking power is still there.

I am not confident in my abilities to do work on my brakes. Also, 2 hours sounds like a lot to me for the front brake pads. It is something that I though would take about 30 minutes.
SoCal Crew #21
Old 10-30-2005, 11:57 PM   #9

Points 7,947, Level 59
Level Up 99% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Just ordered some new hawk HPS pads.
SoCal Crew #21
Old 10-31-2005, 08:51 AM   #10
Livin' it up in Cali

Fan#: 9170
What I Drive: 2004 Blue D23E

FF Reputation: 1 SoCalDuratec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
That's rediculous, I was quoted $85 for labor to get my front rotors and pads put on. If your ever up in o'side there's a place called Autoworks, they do awesome work and are very efficient. They were done with my brakes in less than an hour. I'd say it shouldn't cost you more than $40 or 50 to have the front pads installed.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in