SVT Getrag MT285 Tranmission Information Thread - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #61
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109773
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-Red SVT Turbo

Points 1,289, Level 19
Points: 1,289, Level: 19 Points: 1,289, Level: 19 Points: 1,289, Level: 19
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Rotaryrocket Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETROITSVT View Post
Detroitaxle.com
aka dearborn axle
they rebuild and sell new cv axle made in detroit $70
Are they the right ones for the SVT? Reading the following thread on the M285, they noted that the axles have specific differences for the "fluid channel geometry"

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...on-thread.html

If they are the right ones, it'd be a good idea to add their link to that thread as a source.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #62
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 380082
What I Drive: 2003 FOCUS SVT 5 DOOR

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 DETROITSVT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotaryrocket View Post
Quote:
Detroitaxle.com
aka dearborn axle

Are they the right ones for the SVT? Reading the following thread on the M285, they noted that the axles have specific differences for the "fluid channel geometry"

If they are the right ones, it'd be a good idea to add their link to that thread as a source.
Yes they are the correct ones , I use them on all svt foci I have worked on in the past few years with no issues , they are professional rebuilders of factory cores . These are not remade in China , this axle in particular is made in Detroit with same specs as factory
I can't post links I'm too new on this forum it's DetroitAxle.com , just do a quick search of your vehicle and you'll see what they sell for svt . Every part they sell for svt focus is on cars i own or service with no issues at all
Old 12-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #63
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 380082
What I Drive: 2003 FOCUS SVT 5 DOOR

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 DETROITSVT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotaryrocket View Post
Quote:
Detroitaxle.com
aka dearborn axle

https://www.detroitaxle.com/?s=Part%...ubmodel%5D=SVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #64
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,289, Level 19
Level Up 89% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Do NOT buy your axles from Detroit!!!

Simply put, they are garbage. My experience with them goes like this:

June 27, 2018 (17:35 PST) - order placed for both CV axles for the SVT (This comes with free shipping, but there is no way to choose any other when purchasing, you have to contact them direct to do expedited, or next day). I followed up with an email to the customer service about shipping as I was in a time crunch to get these to Turbo Tom where my car is currently at. I received an email back from 'Max' saying they would be there on the following Mon-Tues. This worked for the schedule, so I left it at that.

July 2 comes and goes...nothing.

July 3 , 2018 I expected the package would be there today, and that something was wrong with the tracking number, since it was still in "label created" mode (it happens). Later in the day, Tom texts me and says "still no axles."
I sent an email to Max as it was too late to do anything else (west coast time sucks when dealing with companies on the other side).
I expected to hear something by the 5th at this point due to the holiday.

July 5, 2018 Not having heard anything back yet, I call them to find out what is going on. I call the number given to me in the email from Max, with his extension.

After some hold time, he comes back saying that the package has not left the facility yet.
He rolls into damage control, explaining that the axles go through a lengthy QA process to make sure they pristine, and that they are the correct ones.
While this is reassuring to hear, I need these to get to Tom...so I ask for next day shipping, I pay the $120 and they arrive the next day at 10:00.

At this point I am relieved and feel like things are good. Unfortunately, due to the shipping delays, this pushes my cars completion back and not getting on the dyno (freshly built motor/turbo, etc.) for final tuning until July 16-17.

In the meantime, I drop little texts to Tom to see how things are going with everything trying to not annoy him too much...he acknowledges that the transmission looks good (installed an lsd) and they were waiting on a shift bushing before getting it back together to go on the dyno...(that was on July 17, 2018 08:33 PST)

July 19, 2018 13:35 PST I get a text from Tom as I am driving, "Can you give me a call asap"
I grabbed my Bluetooth and before I could get situated on the freeway and set the cruise before calling him, he calls me.
Nervously answering the call (thinking the worst happened, like my engine blew up on the dyno...) he goes in to explaining that they sent the wrong axles, and that they were in such terrible shape...(to me looks like they were from a junkyard find.
He sends me the pictures of the axles via MMS, so I have attached them here to share.
The picture of the axles side by side (showing the stock OE one, and the "new" one in one of the photos) had me confused as to which was the new one. I immediately assumed that the clean one was the new one...I was wrong. The new one is the dirty one, that is too long and has the wrong diameter shoulder for the seal on the transmission.

Alright, this sucks.

I was on my way home, so I call them when I get back and they are still open.
I speak to James. James speaks loud, I am assuming its noisy where he is, I hear loads of other people in the background.
He offers no apologies, I am annoyed and want the right axles sent there the next day. He gives me an RMA for the axles.
They WONT ship next day without me paying for it.
They require I put a 'deposit' down for them to ship the axles out (full price of both axles).
During this process I rip into the shit quality of the product they sent, and I want to send them the pictures that Tom sent me showing that they are:
1. The wrong ones
2. Look like shit you get at junkyard
He gives me his email address.
I give him my payment info and get the new set underway.

I send an email to the address he gave me, and also cc the other guy I was dealing with in the beginning "Max" I also cc Tom on this.

July 20, 2018 During my work day, I go back through a thread on the M285 transmission and get the link in it for the axles that were vetted by someone else in the forum.
I reach out to them about next day shipping, they say they can do it no problem. The axles they sell are brand new, so I pull the trigger on getting those to Tom.
14:40 PST I call Detroit axle and somehow get the same guy I spoke to the day before...James. I tell him I want to cancel the order...(I see that it is still in the "label created" phase) He says he can do that. He will need to pull the label from the 'floor' and process the refund. I ask if I should wait, he says it will be a lengthy process...I ask if this is the same James I spoke to yesterday, he confirms, I say that is good enough for me ( I will dispute any charges they don't refund with my bank).

I then call Tom and let him know the new situation. We chat about the experience, he tells me that he had also followed up with an email to them about the situation and their product. He did get a reply, and they told him they don't care, they will not reimburse anything for them shipping the wrong axles, etc.

After hearing this I leave a bad review on their website, then decide to search "Detroit Axle reviews"
It was then I came across a slew of one star ratings with loads of customers with the same exact experience that I just went through. I really wish I had researched them a little more before buying...
So I completely disagree with DETROIT SVT on recommending them...instead use the link for the axle store on the first page. And yes, I am referring to the one on eBay.
I placed the order July 20 at noon...(I just checked the tracking as I am sitting here writing this up...they were already delivered...its 07:00 PST here, they were delivered at 09:17 EST)...cool.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rotaryrocket; 07-21-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:49 PM   #65
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 33,277, Level 100
Points: 33,277, Level: 100 Points: 33,277, Level: 100 Points: 33,277, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 87 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Wow.....Sorry to hear(read) what you went thru.....Great you find a pr of new ones....Great to have Tom help you also.
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 07-21-2018, 11:01 PM   #66
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,289, Level 19
Level Up 89% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Wow.....Sorry to hear(read) what you went thru.....Great you find a pr of new ones....Great to have Tom help you also.
Tom has been great, and as for the axles, I just want everyone else to know what they may be experiencing if they do try Detroit.
felixthecat likes this.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #67
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107528
What I Drive: 2017 Focus ST & 2002 Focus SVT

Points 46, Level 1
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 Rob's 02 SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Sounds like a horrible experience. I have both CV axles replaced on my car with Detroit and also just replaced both lower control arms and I have no complaints. I have about 50k miles on the axles and I just had them out while replacing the lower control arms and they still look good. I did purchase them thru eBay but direct from Detroit axles.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:35 PM   #68
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107528
What I Drive: 2017 Focus ST & 2002 Focus SVT

Points 46, Level 1
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 Rob's 02 SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I have purchased Cardone brake calipers and I'm sure they have great CV axles as well. If I need more down the road I will look into them before buying more Detroit axles possibly.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in