Octane, and why SVT's need 91 or more. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 35941
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Silver / EAP / CWP

Points 1,382, Level 20
Points: 1,382, Level: 20 Points: 1,382, Level: 20 Points: 1,382, Level: 20
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 DarwinSays Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Octane, and why SVT's need 91 or more.

Rabble-RABBLE-rabble-Rabble-RABBLE-rabble!

Yes. SVT's are OEM Built and Tuned for 91 Octane fuel.
Yes. Gas prices are currently "LOL", "OMG" and "WTF?", with SVT's requiring "WTF?" or higher.
Yes. Selling your SVT and getting a ZX3 or SES is as much an option as getting over it.

Sorry, but I had to. With all the inadvertent thread hijacks lately I thought you guys would appreciate a thread to discuss and vent some frustrations.

This isn't a topic that is likely to ever go away, so let's lay the myths to rest, so that people can better understand and accept the fact that they will be paying more for their gas for their duration as an SVT owner.

Fact: Octane rating indicates how much pressure gasoline can withstand before it becomes unstable and spontaneously ignites.

Fact: Unless you LOWER your car's compression and adjust your timings, you cannot safely run 89 octane fuel or lower in your OEM SVTf.
Doing so can cause excess wear and damage in both the upper and lower halves of the engine, including spark plugs, piston rings, valves and seals, etc, and ultimately cost you more money in the long run than you saved in the short term.

Fact: Just because you don't hear knocking, doesn't mean that it isn't happening. SVT's have Variable Cam Timing (VCT), can detect misfires and knocking, and can compensate for those by retarding (slowing down) your timing, which causes these engines to lose efficiency. In addition, the engine can only compensate so much, which only keeps you mildly safer at low RPM's.

Would you like to know more?

Question: If the engine compensates when you use lower grade fuel then it should actually be safe, shouldn't it?
Answer: No. The engine cannot compensate by altering it's compression ratio, and you still run the risk of detonation.

You should only use lower grade fuel if you have no other choice:
-Some Gas station in BFE doesn't have 91+ Octane fuel.
-You forgot your wallet at home, are running on vapors and have to gather loose change from under the seats, et cetera...

Note: If you do find yourself forced to use lower grade fuel, keep your RPM's below 3500-4500; it will reduce chance of detonation, but it can still happen. You should also top up with 93 and/or add octane booster as soon as possible to bring the octane back up to a safe level.
Your engine's efficient operating range tends to be around 4-7k RPM, and the engine cannot retard the timing enough for this range (and no engine I know of can adjust compression), so the engine WILL eventually experience detonation and start taking damage proportionate to RPM.

I'll let you guys take it from here. Any useful replies will get added to OP for as long as I bother to maintain it. Let's see what we end up with and whether it sticks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH841 View Post
If you're heading for BFE, why not grab a bottle of octane boost and throw it in the trunk. Then if you're on fumes and can't find 91 octane, break out the bottle and no problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by standard View Post
here's another thought people ALWAYS overlook.. If you spend $0.20 a gallon MORE for premium fuel, and you fill ALL 12 gallons up, you manage to spend an extra $2.40 cents on your fill up for using premium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmylez View Post
Just need to clear things up. The VCT only changes *CAM* timing. The VCT solenoid is not a knock sensor. It only changes the intake cam timing based upon input from the ECU (load, RPM, etc). [...]The knock sensor, which is mounted on the back of the block, is what tells the ECU to pull timing when you put below 91 oct in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#include 'brain.h'

Last edited by DarwinSays; 04-17-2011 at 01:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 70375
What I Drive: 05 Saleen Focus, 04 Saleen Focus

Points 10,819, Level 68
Points: 10,819, Level: 68 Points: 10,819, Level: 68 Points: 10,819, Level: 68
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 15 Notorious0ne Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Nice work on this post dude. Plus Rep for you!

The cops are here to keep us safe.............I'm here to keep them busy!

Hatch Nation #43
Old 04-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33656
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

Points 2,031, Level 27
Points: 2,031, Level: 27 Points: 2,031, Level: 27 Points: 2,031, Level: 27
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 7 ProSilverVT02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
This thread has perfect timing... I just had some @ss today give me crap for putting "High Octane" in "just a focus" and it doesn't make it a "race car".

I swear to Christ if one more MotherEffer makes another comment about me and my racecar, and putting 93 (not very much 91 in my area) in my car I'm going to punch them right in the redneck.

Wow... it's good to vent. Sorry I didn't add to the OP, just wanted to vent. Thanks.

P.S. I love my Focus and I'll put 93 in it even if it gets up to $11/gallon (just filled up @ $4.09/gallon today).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 35941
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Silver / EAP / CWP

Points 1,382, Level 20
Points: 1,382, Level: 20 Points: 1,382, Level: 20 Points: 1,382, Level: 20
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 DarwinSays Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious0ne View Post
Nice work on this post dude. Plus Rep for you!
Thanks! I was starting to think people forgot the button was there, lol.
I'd seen and heard enough people trying to say that its 'safe' to run mid-grade that I decided to put this together. It's one thing to be mistaken, and something else entirely to pass incorrect information on to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSilverVT02 View Post
This thread has perfect timing... I just had some @ss today give me crap for putting "High Octane" in "just a focus" and it doesn't make it a "race car"[...].
I can't say I've had that happen to me, but I've definitely been expecting some clerk or bystander to eventually point out that I've 'mistakenly' chosen premium fuel at the pump. lol.
...and yeah, prices are the same out here. I'm just thankful to be working full time now; still hurts the wallet though, especially since I'm doing about 100mi a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#include 'brain.h'
Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 70375
What I Drive: 05 Saleen Focus, 04 Saleen Focus

Points 10,819, Level 68
Points: 10,819, Level: 68 Points: 10,819, Level: 68 Points: 10,819, Level: 68
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 15 Notorious0ne Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Yeah some people dont like to listen. But when the engine fails cause they have been putting the wrong fuel type in thats a hefty bill >_<
felixthecat likes this.

The cops are here to keep us safe.............I'm here to keep them busy!

Hatch Nation #43
Old 04-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79303
What I Drive: 2013 Blue ST3

Points 906, Level 16
Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 JCH841 Good Standing Member
If you're heading for BFE, why not grab a bottle of octane boost and throw it in the trunk. Then if you're on fumes and can't find 91 octane, break out the bottle and no problem.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72671
What I Drive: wrx

FF Reputation: 2 standard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
here's another thought people ALWAYS overlook.. If you spend $0.20 a gallon MORE for premium fuel, and you fill ALL 12 gallons up, you manage to spend an extra $2.40 cents on your fill up for using premium.

Aka, who gives a shit.
felixthecat likes this.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
PARTS HUNTER

Fan#: 71669
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX2 5.0 SUPERCAB

FF Reputation: 9 DEMENTED SVTF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
^^exactly Damn cry babys. Ok so its. Alright to buy a $7 cup of coffee at starbucks or buy 1 energy drink. But an extra $2.50 at the pump for 91 (cali) absolutely kills ur wallet lol some people just don't no what they r spending. I laugh when I see someone complaining about gas prices when they are wearing $200 pair of shoes lol.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

Points 3,709, Level 38
Points: 3,709, Level: 38 Points: 3,709, Level: 38 Points: 3,709, Level: 38
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
^^ or have a brand new iphone/android or whatever.

I had a random guy comment on putting 91 in my car. But, i am good at completely ignoring people. I never said a word, just finished and drove away

Nice write up
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 04-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35376
What I Drive: 2004 SVT, infrared, City Bus...

Points 892, Level 15
Points: 892, Level: 15 Points: 892, Level: 15 Points: 892, Level: 15
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 81%
Activity: 81% Activity: 81% Activity: 81%
FF Reputation: 7 limeyrider Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMENTED SVTF View Post
^^exactly Damn cry babys. Ok so its. Alright to buy a $7 cup of coffee at starbucks or buy 1 energy drink. But an extra $2.50 at the pump for 91 (cali) absolutely kills ur wallet lol some people just don't no what they r spending. I laugh when I see someone complaining about gas prices when they are wearing $200 pair of shoes lol.
No more calls, please.....we have a winner....

I also have an old(er) BMW. I am amused by the first time car owners who think they can buy and maintain a BMW on a Kia budget. When someone on a forum posts, my car's running hot and I checked the coolant but I don't have $ for a thermostat or new radiator - those effers are $250! so I went to a junk yard and that radiator leaked. I put in some Bar's Leaks, it didn't work and now I think my head is cracked...OMG, WTF, GTFO....

KIDS, DO THINGS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!! AND IF $2.50 PER TANK OF FUEL BUSTS THE BUDGET, USE FUEL MONEY FOR BUS FARE...Live in the boonies with no bus line? Don't waste your time with a "Turbonator" just use the CORRECT fuel and learn how to use right foot to regulate fuel consumption.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in