ZX3 Street Beater / Rally Build - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #31
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19498
What I Drive: 2004 French blue ZX3

Points 711, Level 14
Points: 711, Level: 14 Points: 711, Level: 14 Points: 711, Level: 14
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 rallyrs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You might be right on him running zx3 springs front-but I just went thru his thread and can't find where he says what front spring he is running.

Looks kinda short to me in the pics though:

2005 Velocity Red Mazda 2.3 MZR Sedan Auto(Sold)
2015 Blue Reflex Mica Mazda6, 2.5 Skyactiv,6-spd
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #32
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 406677
What I Drive: Basic Ass 2006 ZX3

Points 383, Level 7
Points: 383, Level: 7 Points: 383, Level: 7 Points: 383, Level: 7
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 2 DirtyDave Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
From Norm's thread #61:
"yes SVT struts/shocks all around. zx3 springs in front, cut wagons springs in rear"
Old 05-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #33
Focus Enthusiast

Points 383, Level 7
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyrs View Post
So for the front-you are running SVT struts,stock zx3 springs-plus your spacer?

How thick is the spacer-as far as lift?

I ask because I ran the old discontinued ST spacers pictured here:

These look to be quite a bit less lift than your spacers.

I ran them on the shorter SVT front springs as that is what I had on the car, I wanted the increased rate over zx3 springs ,and was concerned about droop travel.

My Tokico struts had confirmed travel same length as stock zx3 struts.

I forget the exact droop travel-but it was good.

I can't find SVT strut extended to collapsed measurements but it certainly isn't going to be any longer than stock-most likely the same or less.

I would guess the same as a zx3 stocker.

If you are running stock travel front struts with the tall ZX3 stock springs plus your tall spacers-I'll bet you have almost no droop.

Topping out your suspension all the time or even over regular size bumps sucks and seriously affects traction and handling-plus the car rides like crap.

You might want to check that.

When I dumped my svt spring/spacer combo for a custom spring I factored that in and jacked the car up and measured my droop.

It was a hair less than calculated but close enough and worked well.
I didn't have a chance to measure droop last night, but the car feels pretty good just "normal" driving. Haven't got it off the ground yet LOL.
I may go with an SVT spring if I need to gain a little droop back. We'll see how it goes. I know this spacer is limiting travel on compression by binding the coil sooner. Can always make changes. Might play with different spacer thickness and spring combos. Also I can add a spacer to the top of the strut mount to gain ride height without effecting spring preload or travel. Can take half the thickness out of the preload spacer and put it back with a top spacer to keep the ride height I'm at now.

I'm also curious how much cv angle the stock axles can handle. That's a factor if I add more travel or ride height.

I'd really like to build a longer travel strut, but I have to reel it in and remind myself this is my daily driver LOL

Last edited by DirtyDave; 05-15-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #34
Focus Enthusiast

Points 711, Level 14
Level Up 11% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
From Norm's thread #61:
"yes SVT struts/shocks all around. zx3 springs in front, cut wagons springs in rear"
Oh-thanks for posting that-I missed it.

Well..looking at Norm's results-it's hard to argue with his parts list!

Perhaps his car sat a bit lower than mine due to the heavier zetec engine,skidplate and brackets etc that my car never had but who knows.

But if you read in his thread post # 32 he does mention a clunk he was trying to figure out.

Perhaps he was "topping out" over some bumps.

Of course-it could have been something else too.

Anyway-just wanted you to keep droop travel in your thoughts...

Anyway...if you can please do post up how much droop you have-I'm curious.

Also I may be interested in a set of your spacers(for a different car).

Last edited by rallyrs; 05-15-2019 at 03:38 PM. Reason: becuz!
Old 05-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #35
Focus Enthusiast

Points 711, Level 14
Level Up 11% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
I didn't have a chance to measure droop last night, but the car feels pretty good just "normal" driving. Haven't got it off the ground yet LOL.
I may go with an SVT spring if I need to gain a little droop back. We'll see how it goes. I know this spacer is limiting travel on compression by binding the coil sooner. Can always make changes. Might play with different spacer thickness and spring combos. Also I can add a spacer to the top of the strut mount to gain ride height without effecting spring preload or travel. Can take half the thickness out of the preload spacer and put it back with a top spacer to keep the ride height I'm at now.

I'm also curious how much cv angle the stock axles can handle. That's a factor if I add more travel or ride height.

I'd really like to build a longer travel strut, but I have to reel it in and remind myself this is my daily driver LOL
Longer travel would be sweet-I never could find an inexpensive off-the shelf(I.E. not stage rally)solution for that.

I had wanted to run Bilstein HD's but online found travel measurements for the part # that showed-I forget-like 1.5" or so less travel than a stock strut.

I was bummed to read that so called Bilstein to confirm that was true, and also to double check that they didn't mean travel PLUS bump stop squish and they said no-total travel.

Less travel MAY not have really been a big deal just parking lot racing-but for me it was a deal breaker so...

So I passed on those and confirmed Tokico HTS/Dspec had at least stock travel so went with those since it looked like they might be an upgrade over the ubiquitous KYB AGX strut/shock that most everyone runs as the cheap go to for rallyx.

I did consider the svt strut though too-and especially now would consider going that way.

Funny-you mention wondering how much angle the cvs can take with ride height change.

When I pulled my svt springs/spacers out and put custom taller heavier springs in-at first I thought I screwed the pooch.

Going down the road steering swayed back and forth and it felt like cv's would bind/release/bind/release-it was awful!

It was the toe change!

Alignment now-with the taller front springs was f#@ked!

Aligned it and all was well.

It did settle a bit since then but pics below is how my car sat-on my street tires/wheels.

1st pic is with .8 spacer/svt front spring and svt rear spring.

2nd pic is with no spacer in front and custom ordered taller higher rate springs.

It has since settled over time-just a bit...

Here it is a bit later after an event on my dirt tires-195/60/15 Firestone Winterforce on 15x6 Braid Gravel rally wheels-38mm ET.

Oh-and below is a link to my rallyx exploits thread if you haven't seen it yet.

I only ran in 2013.

May possibly return to rallyx later in the year or next year-we'll see...I do miss it.

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/...3-results.html

Old 05-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #36
Focus Enthusiast

Points 383, Level 7
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Yes, droop was on my mind before you mentioned it. I just haven't gotten that far. This is my daily driver so I just put it together and got it back on the road.
Will be tweaking some things for sure.
I've done a lot of suspension work in my Desert Racing Days. Grew up in the Desert racing Bikes/Trucks/Buggies.
This is dealing with much less wheel travel though.

Has about 1-1/2" of droop which is not enough. With about 6" total travel I'd like to have a minimum of 2" droop. 2.5" might be better.
(stock ZX3 droop should be around 2-5/8")
I got it to top out over some bigger bumps yesterday. Definitely clunks hard when it tops out.

I'm also seeing the toe change you mentioned. Exiting a corner hard definitely feel the bind/release/bind/release as you described it. I didn't make any alignment adjustments after adding the new struts and spacers. I'll check Toe this weekend. Also look like I have more positive camber at this ride height. Might need some Camber Plates. Also I think the suspension is topping out on hard cornering on the inside wheel and contributing to this.

I found some SVT front Springs to try. Thinking I'll make a thinner spacer (like the thickness of the plastic ones you posted).
Will make some spacers for the top of the strut mount as well to get the ride height back where I like it. This will give me more droop, but not more total travel. Will just be moving where it sits in the travel. Might be a good thing with bigger tires to move the whole strut down to give a little more tire clearance on bottom out.

Last edited by DirtyDave; 05-16-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #37
Focus Enthusiast

Points 383, Level 7
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
SVT springs with a 3/4" preload spacer would put me at stock ZX3 height and Droop.

I could make the lift spacers for the top of the strut to get the ride height where I want it. 1.125 or 1.250 higher than stock ZX3

I'll make some like this:

Last edited by DirtyDave; 05-16-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #38
Focus Enthusiast

Points 383, Level 7
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
This is how it currently sits. I like how it's pretty level.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #39
Focus Enthusiast

Points 711, Level 14
Level Up 11% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Yes, droop was on my mind before you mentioned it. I just haven't gotten that far. This is my daily driver so I just put it together and got it back on the road.
Will be tweaking some things for sure.
I've done a lot of suspension work in my Desert Racing Days. Grew up in the Desert racing Bikes/Trucks/Buggies.
This is dealing with much less wheel travel though.

Has about 1-1/2" of droop which is not enough. With about 6" total travel I'd like to have a minimum of 2" droop. 2.5" might be better.
(stock ZX3 droop should be around 2-5/8")
I got it to top out over some bigger bumps yesterday. Definitely clunks hard when it tops out.

I'm also seeing the toe change you mentioned. Exiting a corner hard definitely feel the bind/release/bind/release as you described it. I didn't make any alignment adjustments after adding the new struts and spacers. I'll check Toe this weekend. Also look like I have more positive camber at this ride height. Might need some Camber Plates. Also I think the suspension is topping out on hard cornering on the inside wheel and contributing to this.

I found some SVT front Springs to try. Thinking I'll make a thinner spacer (like the thickness of the plastic ones you posted).
Will make some spacers for the top of the strut mount as well to get the ride height back where I like it. This will give me more droop, but not more total travel. Will just be moving where it sits in the travel. Might be a good thing with bigger tires to move the whole strut down to give a little more tire clearance on bottom out.
Sounds like you are on it...

Actually the suspension techniques black coated spacers I had(.80)were aluminum.

Since svt springs drop the car 1/2-3/4" ,adding the .80 spacers put the car pretty close to stock height but with the better svt rate.

I was super happy with that set-up and ran 4 events with good results.

Only reason I ordered up custom front springs(taller/stiffer) was because when the course got rutted up I was bottoming pretty badly.

I forgot the height/rate I ordered but just looked it up on my old posts-copy and paste from my rallyx post:

"The new set-up(taller front [email protected] Lbs/inch,disconnected front sway bar,rear H&R 24mm sway bar) is awesome!

Slightly more tail-happy than before-but very controllable.

No more bottoming in front!

Measured front droop at 2.25" before race-don't know if anything settled more during race-I'll check again tomorrow.
I was worried that the droop wasn't enough-but that's close enough to the 30% droop I was after and I don't notice any topping out over anything.

I've got quite a bit of uptravel now(for a standard stroke strut anyway) so ruts don't bother me and better ground clearance too.

I was worried the 1" taller than ZX3 front springs would upset the handling and make the car lean,but upping the front spring rate to 175 seems to have taken care of that."

Old 05-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #40
Focus Enthusiast

Points 711, Level 14
Level Up 11% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
One more thing I forgot to mention.

Since I was running adjustable Tokico HTS-I did play with the settings.

On the street I would turn them down a bit.

I listened to others saying don't go too stiff on dirt,so initially went a little stiffer on the front and kinda stiff on the rear.

But back of the car was jumping all over the place/banging around so I went full stiff on the back and it was better.

But I was bottoming out pretty hard in front when the course got chewed up so eventually went full stiff on all 4 corners and left it there for the remainder of the season while racing.

When I got the new front springs I did the same-but I noticed with the new springs when I dialed down the fronts back to cushy street setting that the struts were indeed topping out coming out of driveways or going over speed bumps,so I had to stiffen them up a couple turns and that took care of it.

Hopefully your svt dampers will have enough compression/rebound to control your suspension once you get your ride height/droop set the way you want.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in