Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How to take a hairpin turn

6K views 36 replies 27 participants last post by  Carrera26 
#1 ·
#29 ·
yah that takes me back to my first and only accident. i had my old 92 ford ranger 4x4 and was hauling rass down this long flat gravel road. i was doing about 70 then kicked it into 4wd. i get to a perfect 90 degree left turn, banked an everything because it was really sharp. i crank the wheele and powerslide around the corner. i almost had it, but my front drivers side tire caught on a rut that was made by rain washing away the gravel(it was a big rut). the truck did a 180 degree turn, and i backed right over the edge of the road on the right side. it was about a 25 foot drop. luckally my truck came to rest on a tree about 8 inches in diameter. the only thing that happined was a dent in the bed, and my tire came off the rim. Man was i scared. i didnt even have my license, i had my school permit because i lived so far out of town. luckally some guy in a truck drove buy and saw me, and pulled my truck back up onto the road, i put on my spare and went on my way. LOL
I recommend NEVER doing that.

#31 ·
There's one thing you guys are forgetting about this... He went into that corner pretty much blind. All he knew about it is MAYBE remembering a little about it from last year and what his co-driver told him.

Do that on a corner you've never driven before, with only a good technical description about 10 seconds before you arrive. THEN you'll be Mr. Bad A$$.

#32 ·
rally drivers are probably the best drivers in the world. they dont just go around in circles...(not that that is easy either for 200 laps)...they usually have people standing in the road that jump out of the way just in time..they dont have guardrails; they have trees and cliffs with dropoffs..nascar goes to caution these days when someone sneezes...these guys are for real....to just casually say you are THAT good because youve driven some dirt roads behind walmart is akin to me saying i could beat lebron james one on one.

#33 ·
I doubt anyone in here was really being serious about that though. Even if they thought they could, I doubt that they appreciate the speed he's carrying though the corner...

#34 ·
i agree they are the absolute BEST drivers in the world. i want to see jeff gordon, or some of those guys try that. but seriously teddyrob, do you think any of us are being serious about being able to do that? obviously i cant because i shared my rally story. lol just slow down take it easy, and let us make fun of ourselves by saying we can do that.

#37 ·
magic2119 said:
i agree they are the absolute BEST drivers in the world. i want to see jeff gordon, or some of those guys try that
Actually, Jeff Gordon competed in the Race of Champions a couple years ago, when they get the top drivers from the top series' from all over the world (NASCAR, Champ/IRL, WRC, F1, DTM, Le Mans, Superbike, etc.) and they each other 1 on 1 in WRC cars, Ferrari Challenges, and dune-buggy looking things. The Americans actually won, and Gordon beat Gronholm in the rally section.

There are some really world class drivers in NASCAR, it's just that they are in a 3rd rate series with world-class marketing and pay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.