oval track asphalt help - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2017, 01:16 AM   #21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80053
What I Drive: 05 ST Focus 2014, 2016 SE Champion,

Points 1,066, Level 17
Points: 1,066, Level: 17 Points: 1,066, Level: 17 Points: 1,066, Level: 17
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 5 msperber Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Svt motor, gertrag trans, means no trans parts, no final drive options, and does it have a limited slip? Then which tire do u use to compute the ratio. And while the Svt loves to rev, like others have said, has he past the point where the tq is lost.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017, 02:17 AM   #22
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 356273
What I Drive: 2003 svt ford focus

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 kylelawson54 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I was told by a guy that did the math that i dont no i should run a tire size around 77" to78" diameter.. But that was to crank around 7000 rpm.. Ill go bigger diameter to less rpms and try it.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #23
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,503, Level 65
Points: 9,503, Level: 65 Points: 9,503, Level: 65 Points: 9,503, Level: 65
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
7 grand is fine but you have to have rev room under that, the purpose of having a power BAND. You try to achieve lower rpm at the turn exit so that you have rpm to pull up through on the straight to try to hit max rpm 9but ONLY momentarily) at the end. If already close to max rpm you have nothing left to accelerate with.

Sperber is right, SVT is supposed to be a 6 speed unless somebody changed that, and even more of a reason to use 3rd gear. 2nd would be like an extended low gear and useless, you have no higher pullout speed, you are out of gear too.

Where are you going to get a 77" diameter tire? You're spouting with no thinking there, no insult intended of course. Maybe talking rollout or circumference.

You figure both tire sizes and the gear is the middle in between, the diff splits the rpm to both sides. Badly need a P-Trac there like said.
A Focused Family likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #24
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Use a calculator like this to help get in the ballpark where you can use tire calculators to find the size that gives you about the diameter required:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1Vc6JkmyYvf7VQ

That's for conversion of circumference (the number you are referring to as diameter) to actual diameter numbers posted in tire calculators.

Circumference is the actual distance around the tire, as if you wrapped a string around it & measured the length.

That IS the measurement actually used for stagger calculations, since it's the most accurate number available for how far a tire will travel on each turn and it's easy to measure. Your 77" number yields a 24.5" diameter BTW, but there are odd digits in the thousandths as well to that conversion - an example of what I'm describing for accuracy.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Try measuring the tires you are running now up front for actual circumference (measuring tape around them). That'll give you more info. on how they relate to that calculated number you mention & how they relate to each other.

I think you're going backwards for the stagger used, but without a limited slip it might even be helping you. Your use of a smaller width outside tire reduces traction a bit at the right corner, what I think you're feeling is how it can throw power to that same wheel as it's turning faster than the inner wheel. Might even 'trick' the differential to avoid inside wheel spin as a positive effect.

The usual idea for stagger is to have a larger outside tire, so while making your left turns both wheels turn at closer to the same RPM & power is more evenly split between them.

Throwing all the power & much of the cornering load to the right front CAN make the car 'tight', tending to understeer and move up the track as that corner loses traction. Before traction is lost though, it should try hard to turn left for you.

I can't guess at your corner entry speeds, or how much traction you manage to get out of the RF tire. What I'm imagining in theory is something that currently feels good at lower corner entry speed, dragging you nicely around the turn. Get faster on the straights, and you may find it washes out in the corner with a faster entry speed. Just keep that in mind as you experiment with what works for your setup.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 05-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #25
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
As long as I'm talking handling, FWD around a long turn (1 & 2, 3 & 4) is 'balanced' when you can round the turn at moderate throttle without moving up or down the track. Not loose OR tight.

Add throttle and it gets tight, moving up the track toward the wall. Reduce throttle & it loosens up, moving down the track (if you don't overdo it & spin from a sudden input).

FWD in general tends to be 'tight', and most handling adjustments are made to loosen it up.

Oh Sheet moment for me in solo testing at a local track that tightens up in turn 2 was from coming into #1 too fast. Drifting toward the #2 exit wall, just hoped to scrub off enough speed to avoid kissing it. Setup a bit tight, so couldn't get it as sideways as I wanted to scrub off speed. Neutral drift was all it would give me with no throttle at that point.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 05-23-2017, 03:25 PM   #26
Focus Rookie

Points 5, Level 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Yes nicely put guys... This info will help me alot.. And yes the tire measured. 77 " around center of tire with tire pressure i was running as you said. Idk hiw guy come up with that but thats what u started at. Im the only one at track with a focus so most guys wont and cant help.. But my setup sat night was perfect.. I ran a 35 lap race and only tire that grew was right front by two pounds.. So at that point i took it as car was pretty balanced. I was acually a little lose is center of turn but it seemed to help the exit with out the (push)/ pulling to the wall on exit. But with the good explanation on the gear i will try to running 3rd gear as you said.. And guys i cant thank you enough for the help... I really appreciate all this info i can get
sailor likes this.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #27
Multi-Focusing

Fan#: 126762
What I Drive: 2004 Comp-O SVT and a 2016 NB RS2

Points 52,849, Level 100
Points: 52,849, Level: 100 Points: 52,849, Level: 100 Points: 52,849, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 10 A Focused Family Great Standing Member
I like this thread. because I love short tracks.

I'd really like to watch some videos if the OP's home track has a website.

Made me throw up in my mouth a little when the OP said he's getting beat by a cavalier?..I was like wtf?!?!
2004 CO SVT #106 (1 of 51)
Plus 5 other MK1's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #28
Multi-Focusing

Fan#: 126762
What I Drive: 2004 Comp-O SVT and a 2016 NB RS2

Points 52,849, Level 100
Points: 52,849, Level: 100 Points: 52,849, Level: 100 Points: 52,849, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 10 A Focused Family Great Standing Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a stiffer LF spring will help it turn better and may keep the RF from heating up as much?
2004 CO SVT #106 (1 of 51)
Plus 5 other MK1's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:55 PM   #29
Focus Rookie

Points 5, Level 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Yea the cavaliers thing makes me sick lol but these arnt normal cavys lol.. And for runing 35 laps and one yellow and only gaining two pounds in right front is not bad i dont think.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #30
Focus Rookie

Points 5, Level 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
And im going to run both midvale speedway and barberton speedway in ohio

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in