'05 Focus Wagon - 24 hours of lemons lump - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 344953
What I Drive: 05 Lemons Focus Wagon

Points 226, Level 4
Points: 226, Level: 4 Points: 226, Level: 4 Points: 226, Level: 4
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Xyclone Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
'05 Focus Wagon - 24 hours of lemons lump

Hola all, as I said in the intro I'm making a thread for our focus wagon lemons "racer". Once I get the post count up I'll throw some pictures in when I'm allowed lol

From intro:
Long time info gatherer and lurker joining up to share and hopefully get more info to make our 24 hours of lemons "racer" more competitive. SO howdy and below it what we are working with / on at the moment (will transfer to a thread in one of the other sections to actually ask questions, be able to post some pictures of it when my post count it up, etc).

Running an '05 Focus Wagon which was on the chopping block due to rust and rot, so it wouldn't pass a VT inspection. We fixed it up, caged it, replaced most of the rotted areas (best we could in some cases) and went for it in Oct in Loudon, NH. Didn't do great, but we were off track 1/2 the time repairing issues. Once on track and issues worked out we racked up some serious laps, no black flags, and even after loosing all but 3rd gear, stayed at it to the finish. NOW this season we are going for ALOT of improvements.

Motor:
Currently running the stock Duratec 2.0, all stock trimmings in place (166k), plan is to swap to a fusion 2.5 for this season (shopping at the moment and researching). Now that the car has proven itself, I will be getting in touch with Tom shortly to get an SCT and start in the tuning end. Not looking for power really, but want to delete the EGR and such to clean up the engine bay and make track side motor swaps easier, plus if we end up with the 2.5, it will need some tweaking to run on the 2.0 ECU obviously.

Trans: Again stock manual trans, but last race something went sideways and anything above 5-10 mph you can't shift in or out of gear. Unsure if its trans or shift tower fun, but I snagged a low mileage '05 ST trans to swap in its place in the mean time.

Suspension: May look for some opinions later, but current setup is stock '08 running gear with Eibach springs and swapped to a sedan rear subframe, so still running wagon rear shocks until I build some strut towers for the rear. Built some extended LCRs for the front and had to space out the rear hubs to get the right toe with the sedan sub-frame (going to get some rear toe adjusters soon to hopefully remedy this) but at the moment the thing handles great (as far as we know), just down on power compared to much of the field.

Brakes: Running Porterfield race pads up front with stock '08 discs, then porterfield shoes in the rear with stock drums. Have two or three rear disc setups from various ZTS's and other foci, but the drums with Porterfield race shoes did great, so once we trash those we will prolly switch to rear discs, but we haven't had brake issues as of yet. Will duct both ends hopefully this season as well, but again haven't run into major fade yet, but with more power of the 2.5 I'm sure we'll need to do something.

Random bits: Planning on making a solid lower rear motor mount since I hear they can cause issues. Already have a spare set of hubs and axles to swap since another great weak point. Have plans to make a tie together bar for the front LCR bolts, just need to build it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Moved this to the Road Race & Rally section, for more looks from fellow competitors.

Sounds like you're on track to doing well after the first learning event.

Check out he "Lemon' car posted here, they had their own issues even hitting the track the first time out.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 03-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 226, Level 4
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
So tuner ordered from Tom, planning on having a tune built around a 2.0, then another the 2.5 so we can switch to on the fly when we have to swap motors (when not if lol). Also have an order into Massive for the VCT delete, BSD, and timing tools, so when I snag the 2.5 (maybe tomorrow as its 15 degrees out right now) I can jump into that and get it squared away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 226, Level 4
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Moved this to the Road Race & Rally section, for more looks from fellow competitors.

Sounds like you're on track to doing well after the first learning event.

Check out he "Lemon' car posted here, they had their own issues even hitting the track the first time out.
Ah thanks Sailor, sorry about that
Old 03-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Old Phart

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Don't worry, moves are intended to be helpful - not punishment for doing it wrong LOL.

The real racers aren't as active as some other groups, but they'll see things here easier and all the other lurkers who want to see the race builds can find it easier as well.

S.R. #275
Old 03-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 226, Level 4
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
So looks like it still may be too damn cold to snag the 2.5 from the yard tomorrow, so i may just use the time to pull the 2 liter and start prepping bits. I was planning on using the stock 2.0 DM flywheel and a new OEM clutch for testing till I go the Exedy route, but curious if anyone else has used a 2 or 2.3 clutch on their 2.5 swaps?
Old 03-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
Old Phart

Points 33,746, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
I think so, but check in the engine swap section for latest threads on that or duratec Performance for older ones.

S.R. #275
Old 03-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 226, Level 4
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Ok, 10 posts, no picture time!

Old 03-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 226, Level 4
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Well fired that off alittle too quick testing that I could actually post them. The rest!

Had to replace nearly the entire rear bumper support section and portions of the unibody rails that we basically missing

Pulled apart the ST trans to make sure it was ship shape, all good!
Old 03-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 226, Level 4
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
This is the car the ST trans came from... low miles crash... trans and the 2.3 there Sunday, we come back to this mess Tuesday... someone gutted the 2.3 for its block only... internals were immaculate and thrown round the yard. Atleast saved us from having to pull the trans, but still... was hoping to get both

Adapting the sedan subframe into the wagon, just some simple spacers, along with new alignment pins I turned up, bolts right up now.

Adaptors for the wagon shocks until I make upper shock mounts for sedan shocks

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in