Stl focus racecar - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #71
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 99,131, Level 100
Points: 99,131, Level: 100 Points: 99,131, Level: 100 Points: 99,131, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msperber View Post
Crower stage two cams, the spec sheet says good to 7800 rpm, with my current in car tach that show 300rpm off at 7000 it still pulling. The Dyno says so as it is a crazy flat line from 4500 all the way to my imposed rev limiter set by tom at 7300
Not only flat but still slightly climbing at 6800 and hadnt nosed over yet , still need to adjust the cam gears and go from there

Tom
teamDFL likes this.
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elder 1turbofocus
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2018, 10:42 PM   #72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80053
What I Drive: 05 ST Focus 2014, 2016 SE Champion,

Points 983, Level 16
Points: 983, Level: 16 Points: 983, Level: 16 Points: 983, Level: 16
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 5 msperber Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Loaded and taking the focus team to VIR for the weekend. Lots of changes for the STL program, the ITA has a new ps pump and cooler. Although the weather is predicted to be high in the 40's. I wonder if I can get any tire temp in this environment :)
1turbofocus, teamDFL and Viper 00 like this.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #73
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 01 ZX3, 04 ZTW, 12 SE Sport, 17 ST3

Points 2,035, Level 27
Points: 2,035, Level: 27 Points: 2,035, Level: 27 Points: 2,035, Level: 27
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Michael will give more details, but the car seems to be doing quite well.

Rich
sailor likes this.
Rally Revolution #21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #74
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 99,131, Level 100
Points: 99,131, Level: 100 Points: 99,131, Level: 100 Points: 99,131, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
Little more work to do on small things Engine and tuning wise but so far I am pleased from the info I got

Tom
teamDFL likes this.
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #75
Focus Enthusiast

Points 983, Level 16
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
So we parked the ITA car to work just with the STL unit. It was a whole spare package :). The motor tom built was dead nuts on the money, no iac so a little bitchy cold, once some temp, ran from idle of 1400 to 7200 every shift. Pulled strong like the Dyno sheet said it would. Final drive is a 4:06 and on the back straight at VIR I consistently saw 6k . Water temp like getting any was difficult in sub 40 degree air, A/F stayed where we wanted, oil pressure never less than 60psi. Pulled a filter to check out new motor stuff, just perfect, will pull this one this week to probably see the same nothing. Thanks tom. Oh performance car has it but a major thank you to team dfl for coaching on my line at the track, some time spent on where and how to put the car, I actually just listened, and well let's see, 2:20.5 last year, test day 19.1, with his help 2:17.8 with oh so much more waiting. Dam good weekend. Drove on the trailer, what else could be better.
sailor, teamDFL and mcoppola like this.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #76
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,035, Level 27
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
It was a great pleasure working with you on your line. Although I don't have sector data, based upon the videos, I am convinced that there is a 2:16.# in the car and driver as it stands. Just some more seat time so as to be more consistent in the sections we worked on. Now, the STL target is a 2:13 so obviously that isn't good enough, but if we can eliminate 25% of the 6 second gap with 20 minutes of impromptu video review (where I didn't even get to do any before coaching) followed up by 20 minutes of low speed driving on track to reinforce those concepts, I am confident we can get at least half that gap with a more structured driver improvement program.

I will post the links to the videos once I have them uploaded.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 03-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #77
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,035, Level 27
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
https://youtu.be/FiCU5tdK-qo

https://youtu.be/3absKrCQSGw

https://youtu.be/KLFms2hqDjo

Please note, camera placement was to allow for best driver coaching, not for entertainment purposes.

Rich
felixthecat likes this.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 03-26-2018, 11:07 PM   #78
Focus Enthusiast

Points 983, Level 16
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Little more work to do on small things Engine and tuning wise but so far I am pleased from the info I got

Tom
So with this engine we have legal adjustable cam gears. Well the tune is safe as we had a great weekend of solid no issue racing, time to play. We have access to a Dyno jet Dyno. With toms assistance in making a plan we went at it to see what was there. So adjust intake cam (we decided that one first) up two degrees and run it, then up two more then run it do this until improvement stops. Then go back to the last adjustment which showed improvement. Then do the same with the other cam ( exhaust ) and keep doing it until stuff stops improving. Each adjustment takes about 15 min and everything has to be the same for it to be fair test. Run engine until the same temp, spin up on the Dyno and did we gain anything. Lots of time but it was a blast we picked up 3 hp and 3 tq, but we found out we are running a little to rich at certain rpms which now can be adjusted with toms assistance. Was it magic, no, exactly what tom said. It has improved everything, not a ton but what it has done is eliminate that question of what if. That's gone. And bigger numbers which doesn't suck. Is it a screamer, it is loud at 7300 rpm and still makes power but that's a safe place to stop with reserve in hand. It's a really solid motor, more work to follow, thanks tom the plan is working.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #79
Focus Enthusiast

Points 983, Level 16
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Ok took two cars to the track, VIR. The ITA car with the 2.3 ran great, great balance in 95degree weather, put it on the pole, ran away from the field until the last lap, ran hot, an indicated 230 which placed us in limp mode. Yes was low on fuel and that probably added to the issue as we went lean in the sweeping down hill ssssss. Anyway, shut off, recycled and wouldn't start, popped the clutch and we went again, but finished second, boy that sucked. Found a leak in the radiator actually two both on the drivers side tank. Only three races old. Looking for advise on better larger aftermarket radiators.

The STL car which has been the project, we mounted the splitter and with warm weather had hoped for some improvement. Well major set backs, couldn't get any performance, sent data logs and tom was stumped. First he was available three times for questions and then adjusted his schedule to ours for the race. He worked his butt off and made us make huge swings at changes to fix this thing. No luck we brought it home and with toms direction we went to looking at what is going on. Filter cut open, strain oil, drop pan. So the first thing we found is a failed windage tray, with more to follow we hope this was the cause of the knock which intern had the system pull timing from the motor yanking all the performance out. More to look at tomorrow but hopefully we found the root cause. How can this happen, don't know but we spin it to 7300 for extended periods.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #80
Focus Enthusiast

Points 983, Level 16
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Ok update. We made a new windage tray, and started over after major swings at fixing stuff we thought was causing issues of lost power. We had tom on the phone a ton going after a spike on the Dyno. Tom has been stumped and he is as frustrated like us. Well today tom worked non stop on the car with us and the source of the spikes turned out to be a grounding issue required for the car on the Dyno. Anyone ever see this, well thank goodness tom has, fixed, fixed no more spikes. But now we had to start all over with everything. We never stopped, actually tom didn't quit until he got us back to the best performance under today's conditions, 30* hotter, oh 100% more humidity and all the performance is back. Well in the am he wants more adjustments cause he thinks there is more :)) THANK YOU as racing make me happy but kicking all the others butts is so much fun in a focus!! Tom you built this motor and you brought it back to life. Dam you are good.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in